Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  75
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Horton's blow back.

You also have to remember that its not Fat Cats in Brazil that are affected, its the Franchise owners. They're the ones taking the hit! They still have follow the set prices set by the corporation. They still have to buy the same stock. Pay the same lease and franchise fees (all of that is prolly going up too) and on top of that a huge 20% jump! That has to come somewhere!

Paid Breaks and Fully covered Benefits ?! Cry me a river! I don't get those and no one I know does either! I dint get a 20% raise to pay for everything going up?. There are people who've been working for 10-15 years starting at $7-8/hour only now making $14.. where's there 20%

You want to protest, then shove your signs up Wynne's ASS. Not Franchise owners!

My Aunt owns her own restaurant in a small town and this hit is cutting into her costs huge. That 20% she lost! Imagine losing 20% of your income. She not in Florida.. She at work 5am-5pm everyday. Most business' barely get by.. and same goes for Franchises! I guarantee there will be a lot of them closing down.

Most Franchise owners are just people trying to start and run a business but instead of starting from scratch they pay a corporation for the name and product.

My wife works at a bank and she talks with these owners every week and most of them don't know what to do

Congratulations!! You had it good for a while! Grow up!
    /rant
    Joel,

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    I don’t see many people boycotting the government for causing business to have to take these measures. I mean can I stop paying taxes and such to show the government who’s boss (I fucking think not) Does everyone know that by increasing the minimum wage it actually sets you in a higher tax bracket? And therefore you work the same for less money yet again....the liberals will bleed us to the end......
    ^^^Quote of the day...instead of protesting at Tim Hortons they should head on down to Queens Park!
    The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.

Leonardo da Vinci

Does everyone know that by increasing the minimum wage it actually sets you in a higher tax bracket? And therefore you work the same for less money yet again...
    How many hours is a person on minimum wage working? i.e. how much income are they making per year?
    Unless they are making more than $43k, they will not be paying a higher income tax rate. And even if they do make more than $43k, they only pay a slightly higher rate on the income above $43k. They aren't working for "less" money.

https://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/canada.htm
    https://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/on.htm

Moving into a higher tax bracket is a GOOD thing. It means you are making more money.
    -Don____________

WTF
    let em boycott...imo

if it gets bad the franchisee will have to fire staff

if it gets real bad maybe just close up shop and leave 30 people unemployed

but...I have a suspicion that the loudest fucktards encouraging a boycott weren't even customers to begin with

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    How many hours is a person on minimum wage working? i.e. how much income are they making per year?
    Unless they are making more than $43k, they will not be paying a higher income tax rate. And even if they do make more than $43k, they only pay a slightly higher rate on the income above $43k. They aren't working for "less" money.

Moving into a higher tax bracket is a GOOD thing. It means you are making more money.
    This post saved me a detailed post about the government winning and/or minimum wage earners paying more taxes. Unless the increase pushes their income above $45.3K into the next tax bracket their effective or marginal tax rates will not change (they will pay tax on the incremental dollars earned but typically at the same tax rate as before the increase unless they have other income to push them into a higher tax bracket). The incremental income is being directed from other taxpayers so the government will win only if the income is taxed higher (ie. higher bracket) in the hands of the minimum wage earners than in the hands of the people who were receiving that income before.

Club Supporter
    I don’t see many people boycotting the government for causing business to have to take these measures.
    This is what elections are for - we'll see how Ontario votes at the next one but the Wynne machine is already setting the stage to paint themselves as the saviour of the "people".

Club Supporter
    Of course the unions are jumping in to support the government. From the G&M:

Labour organizations across Ontario are holding rallies today to protest the actions some Tim Hortons franchises have taken in response to an increase in the province's minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post

Yes and no based on how you perceive it. It is a case of diminishing gains which many many people don't realize (not a case of change to taxation rate on entire income). When you correlate the effort vs reward technically you are making less for the work you perform after you hit $43,000 than you were below it. Overall yes still more, but the reward for the jump is less.

To go from making $41500 to $42500 results in a change in after tax income of $35349 to $36266 which means you got an additional $917 for the 67 hours of work at $15 an hour you performed (So an effective wage of $13.69 an hour). To then go from $42500 to $43500 results in a change in after tax income of $36266 to $36985 which means you received an additional $719 for the additional 67 hours at $15 an hour for that jump (An effective wage of $10.73 an hour).

FWIW it's worth I only raised my initial tax bracket jump since it all it would take to eclipses it is an employee working 49 hours a week at $15hr to make enough to enter the next bracket.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Yes and no based on how you perceive it. It is a case of diminishing gains which many many people don't realize (not a case of change to taxation rate on entire income). When you correlate the effort vs reward technically you are making less for the work you perform after you hit $43,000 than you were below it. Overall yes still more, but the reward for the jump is less.

To go from making $41500 to $42500 results in a change in after tax income of $35349 to $36266 which means you got an additional $917 for the 67 hours of work at $15 an hour you performed (So an effective wage of $13.69 an hour). To then go from $42500 to $43500 results in a change in after tax income of $36266 to $36985 which means you received an additional $719 for the additional 67 hours at $15 an hour for that jump (An effective wage of $10.73 an hour).

FWIW it's worth I only raised my initial tax bracket jump since it all it would take to eclipses it is an employee working 49 hours a week at $15hr to make enough to enter the next bracket.
    I didn't re-check your calcs but I assume you're using marginal tax rate methodology on the amount above the next bracket threshold...or no?

To Don's point, on an absolute basis you are making more as you move up through the progressive brackets (except for some small should ranges) so whether it's worth the effort to do so comes down to opportunity cost of that additional work time.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    I didn't re-check your calcs but I assume you're using marginal tax rate methodology on the amount above the next bracket threshold...or no?

To Don's point, on an absolute basis you are making more as you move up through the progressive brackets (except for some small should ranges) so whether it's worth the effort to do so comes down to opportunity cost of that additional work time.
    Correct on both accounts.

EDIT, I'm not diminishing Don's points at all either. To reinforce actually in the example of someone earning $11.40 under the old min wage structure would have taken home $29038 working 49 hours a week. At the $15 an hour wage those same hours will get them to $37417 after tax, an $8,379 increase despite jumping in to the next tax bracket. A 28% jump, nothing to sneeze at. Interestingly the government would collect an additional $2198 in tax, a 49% increase. Draw your own conclusions at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate