Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  75
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Tim Horton's blow back.

The actual franchise fee itself is generally fairly low. About 8 years ago I was that close to franchising my own business, and after lots of research the most common franchise fee (at the time) for almost every business in every catagory, was $25,000. Even McDonalds was around that amount. Of course, after that were training fees, equipment fees, management fees to oversee the construction of the store, fees for this and fees for that. The most successful franchisors even did payroll and bookkeeping (remotely) for the individual franchisee. For more fees of course.
    1971 Avanti II,
    '89 Coupe, , 22 Bronco sport
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, , 96 Mustang GT vert

Club Supporter
    Found this on the web. I think the royalty is now up to 6%.

https://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/pdf...Package-en.pdf

Franchising Program
    Franchise Cost: $480,000 to $510,000* plus all applicable taxes (this includes a drive-thru)
    Additional Working Capital: (start-up costs) $50,000 (unencumbered)
    At least $153,000 of the franchise cost must be unencumbered (cash or liquid assets) in
    addition to the $50,000 working capital that must also be unencumbered. The remaining
    amount may be financed through various lending programs offered by the chartered banks,
    providing, of course, the candidate meets the normal borrowing requirements.
    The specific cost of a Tim Hortons license will depend upon the Tim Hortons building size and
    the required furnishings and equipment to be installed. The cost of a Tim Hortons license may
    exceed $510,000 in certain locations due to higher development costs.
    Included in the cost of a franchise is the following:
     All equipment, furniture, display equipment and signage
     Seven (7) week training program in the Oakville, Ontario, at Tim Hortons University
     A Restaurant opening crew/Manager of Operations Standards (MOS) to assist the
    opening of the Tim Hortons Restaurant (for a maximum period of two weeks)
     The use of all Tim Hortons Manuals
     Right to use trademarks and trade names
     Support from head office personnel who have vast knowledge in the food service
    business
    Not included in the cost of the franchise:
     The building (responsibility of the TDL Group)
     The property that the Restaurant is built (responsibility of the TDL Group)
    The term of the License agreement is usually 10 years and usually with options to renew for up
    to a further period of 10 years.
    *Subject to change without notice.
    Copyright of Tim Hortons. All rights reserved.
    Royalties
    In addition to the initial investment, on-going payments (plus applicable taxes) are
    required as follows:*
     A weekly royalty fee of 4.5% of gross sales for the term of the license
     A monthly rental that is the greater of a fixed minimum rent or 8.5% of monthly
    gross sales
     A monthly advertising levy of 4% of gross sales for the term of the license

Club Supporter
    This looks like it's US-based but Canada should be similar or higher I would think. I guess the correct terminology would be start-up cost or initial investment to open a location versus just "franchise cost/fee" which is only one of the costs related to having one of these brand locations.

Opening a McDonald's: Franchise Costs and Requirements
    https://www.thebalance.com › Small Business › Franchises › Popular Franchises
    Apr 27, 2017 - Individuals with additional funds may be better prepared for additional or multi-restaurant opportunities, which McDonald's encourages. As of 2016, the initial investment varies from $1,003,000 to $2,228,000, with a liquid cash requirement of $500.000. There is also an initial franchise fee of $45,000.

Thought the blowback from this was over but today my media sources are abuz again about protests and crooked business owners.

I was confused. What did the media jump back on this?
    Has something changed?
    Perhaps something else is going on in the Provence.

Surprise surprise. Today is suppose to be the verdict reading for the pawns that are taking the fall on the gas plant scandal.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Thought the blowback from this was over but today my media sources are abuz again about protests and crooked business owners.

I was confused. What did the media jump back on this?
    Has something changed?
    Perhaps something else is going on in the Provence.

Surprise surprise. Today is suppose to be the verdict reading for the pawns that are taking the fall on the gas plant scandal.
    The big unions appear to be pushing this back to the forefront otherwise it would fade away. These guys are behind the protests which are being hosted by some of the big unions in various locations. The organization is pretty murky in terms of who created it but all the big unions have sections/media on their own websites about it (ie. 15and fairness).

http://www.15andfairness.org/nationa...on_tim_hortons
    Last edited by 92redragtop; 01-19-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Club Supporter
    Is Kathleen Wynne and her big union buddies winning their campaign against Tim Hortons? Smaller businesses may be next - they've hired some of those new "inspectors" already with more to come.

From the G&M:

Anger over minimum-wage response could pose threat to Tim Hortons brand

On Friday, roughly 50 protests were planned across Canada in response to the cuts; a social-media campaign is encouraging a boycott. The brand, meanwhile, has become a political punching bag for an unpopular Ontario premier: Kathleen Wynne has accused some franchise owners of treating employees as "pawns."

The question is whether all the negative publicity could inflict lasting damage to the brand. The issue of employee perks comes on the heels of a bitter battle between store owners and the parent company over cost-cutting and alleged mismanagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    gas plant scandal, what gas plant scandal?
    Newstalk 1010 runs an audio clip of Wynne saying "Knives, I don't see any knives" when she was asked if there was any one pushing her out.
    Wynne and the Unions have found their whipping boy in Tim Hortons. Unfortunately the Franchisees don't have the bottomless well of taxpayers money to fall back on.
    Hasn't stopped my large double double in the morning

Stepping up her words again Tim's franchise owners again yesterday. Nice how she goes on n on about other small business's have taken it in stride with no complaints, guess they can't afford to defend themselves against our elected govt'd and their bottomless / our pocket book.

Mustang Occasionally
    Grocery shopping at Sobey's gives you a .04 cents off coupon up to 74 litres, if anyone is interested.

What station?