Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suspension gurus?

On my 91 Fox I've got everything Rick mentioned except I have Bilstein HD and not coilovers no torque arm and using stock K-member with Ford Racing Lower control arms and car handles and rides great on the street, really flat on ramps and tight turns. Track day will be the real test but I'm sure I will have a blast.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

stangstevers
    I think I should reinforce the strut tower... I wonder how much more weight is being loaded on that than it was designed for? Would love to talk to RedSN about that lol

I figure the load is shared between the bottom of the rail and the shock tower with a coilover. So it would cause more of a sheering force on the sheetmetal around the firewall? I figure a MM strut tower brace may help a bit in any extra deflection or side to side movement.

Or am I overthinking again?
    Last edited by stangstevers; 01-16-2018 at 08:56 PM.

A STB + K member brace (MM K member comes with lower brace) and your more than good to go.

stangstevers
    So now I'm mildly confused about the springs...

My car is lowered (sportlines and no rubber insulators right now)... so a 12" spring and 275 rate won't work - it will sit too high? The 10" setup is nuts, now I need to spend $500USD on struts? I was hoping for the 12" 275's on my KYB's... My fox is light, it's a no-option car with aluminum heads.

Thanks

While the KYB's you have now are a decent option for a low-ish rate convention positioned spring, poor choice for a coil over as they are basically built around being a stock replacement / slight upgrade. Bilsteins are said to be capable of up to 350lb spring but as you go much over 325lb ride quality drops off a fair bit. With the shorter 275lb spring, excellent on and off track ride and performance.
    In the same breath, up the ante to double adjustable Koni's, can run a much higher spring rate while retaining a good ride for even better handling. Case in point, former set up in my own car, switched from 275lb (ran 325 for track days) and Bilsteins to Koni dbl adj plus 450lb springs (have to check, might be 475lb). Car is firmer than the 275lb combo but much more compliant vs 325 plus Bilsteins. Combo of 550 rears and MM valved Bilsteins out back produces a firm but nice overall feel and ride with a dramatic increase for track use.
    Long and the short of it, pull the trigger on the right shocks n struts and be happy the first time vs spending the money twice.

If you don't spend the money for good shocks and struts first, any other suspension upgrades are going to be wasted $$. As Rick said, your KYBs are fine for cruising around with close to stock spring rates, but that's it. Even without coilovers, Bilstein HD or Koni adjustables will make a big difference in how the car works.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

stangstevers
    I guess that makes sense... can’t be half pregnant

^ Same but only different.

You might also get lucky and find a pair of gently used factory Bilstein struts off an 03/04 Cobra (rear shocks will not work). While valving is less desirable vs aftermarket Bilsteins, still a good choice if in good shape.

Pretty happy with my Bilsteins.. can't wait to go coilovers on all four corners.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of Bilsteins before needing replacement? They're nice but not cheap.
    '88 LX