Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  45
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: School me on supercharging my 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by TC86GT View Post
    Similar to what I did when I added the turbo. Tossed the Mass air and bought a Megasquirt 2 plug and play. Running it in speed density, and just entered my 60lb injectors into the software and let it calculate the new fuel map required. Works great, full fueling control and timing under boost. The Autotune feature works fantastic, my '86 never drove so well with a mass-air conversion naturally aspirated. No chip, no retune with a tuner for every change. Still learning the system but getting there, lots of control.
    Interesting.. will do some reading when I get home.
    '88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by The Newmare View Post
    had a blozilla on my 86 made great torque like 450f/t at only 6-7psi boost with the 19lb injectors but had to convert over to Mass air.
    And you sold it why ???? Sweet looking Fox.

MS3 is a great choice, not much it can't do. I hate wiring which was one of my reasons for the plug and play version of the MS2. I'm sure I could have built my own and got it functioning, but didn't want the downtime or chance of screwing it up LOL! It's complicated, yet fairly straightforward at the same time...if that makes any sense. My biggest hurdle is getting a steady low idle speed, which may be the cam and the ancient idle air control motor I'm dealing with. Driveability is fantastic even with the batch fire fueling, no complaints there at all. Boost tuning has gone well, some street tuning and a few track visits got me pretty close, and I haven't really touched the timing tables yet. I'm pulling huge amounts under light boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I've got a MS 3 and am just starting on pulling apart the harness and wiring it in. Definitely not my strong suit. My plan is sequential injection and sequential spark.

I am also converting my Windsor 302 to coil over plug.

I have a second iron motor with small powerdyne slated for my 88 that i was planing to convert to EDIS. That may go on hold depending on potential structural issues with my 88.

Mega squirt has me very intrigued.

I will likely go that route next year.

For the time being would I be able to run the car essentially stock with the blower at low boost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86gtvert
    Here is my recipe lol.Sct 2600 mass air, sct chip, b-cam ,255lph fuel pump 44 # injectors ,tfs heads, gt 40 tubular intake on a 92 block ,10 pounds boost on a safe tune car made 483 hp 447 torque.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986stangfan View Post
    Mega squirt has me very intrigued.

I will likely go that route next year.

For the time being would I be able to run the car essentially stock with the blower at low boost?

Probably the best choice. If you factor in things like a chip and tune. The megasquirt is a no brainer. Also the price guys are asking for A9L the megasquirt is a better choice.

It’s the guest of honour at the dinner table

Does anyone know if there is a table to figure out boost from pulley size?

You can estimate any boost level with the following formula:

((Crank pulley diameter/blower pulley diameter*blower displacement/(engine displacement/2)*14.7) - 14.7)*Volumetric efficiency

Volumeteric efficiency is about 90% typically

Example: 5L motor with a 1.5L blower, 6.5" crank pulley and 2.62" (2 5/8) blower pulley

((6.5/2.62)*(1.5/2.5)*14.7-14.7)*0.9 = boost in psi

boost = 6.46 psi

same motor and pullies with a 2.2L blower:

((6.5/2.62)*(2.2/2.5)*14.7-14.7)*0.9 = boost in psi

boost = 15.65 psi.

Awesome. So with my current 2.5” blower pulley and my 6.75” crank pulley I would be making roughly 18lbs Of boost. :s I think I’ll be buying an underdrive crank pulley