Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No wonder Amazon is so big

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    Don't complain when there are no stores left and no jobs left.
    Wont happen in our lifetime but yes it is coming.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Saw a video online of a guy who purchased a power switch thing from an actuall store. Some thing like 150bucks
    Bought the same thing from amazon (might have been ally express) looked the same very simpler badging. And even the exact same part number. But was like 40 bucks.

He opened them up and they were not even close. Online one was as cheap as possible with not safety’s built in and said if it fails it will burn down your house.

Big give away on stuff is no certification badging. Remember CE is for China export not an electrical certification.

Be careful is all. There are deals to be had. But also a lot of less than reputable places looking to make a buck at no risk.
    Aliexpress is cheap and a gamble as you're likely getting knock-offs or close cheap copies since much of it is coming from China. It can happen with Amazon depending on whether the seller is just a third party vendor on the site versus the item being sold by Amazon (less likely to get knock-offs but not impossible). The whole issue of counterfeit product can even occur through normal wholesale/retail channels so you're not guaranteed to get legit products by strictly buying from a retail store and paying twice the Amazon price.

Club Supporter
    I take it some folks don't know about this? Success at capitalism.

Club Supporter
    Pretty common knowledge though?

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    informed consumers make informed choices, let the market decide.
    I agree with this sentiment but I find the vast majority sadly ill informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Pretty well anything you need these days you're able to get it on Amazon. Amazing how that company has grown. Heard the other day that Jeff Bezos is worth over 100 billion dollars...WOW!!!! My buddy ordered a pair of subwoofers and got them shipped in a few days...Unreal. Why would anybody go to a store these days?
    Not only will you find pretty much anything on Amazon, I find many times it's the ONLY place I can find an item, especially without going WAY out of my way to get it. And cheaper. And delivered to my door quickly.

Sorry mom and pop shops: your business model is outdated and obsolete.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I also agree. Cheap Chinese goods killed domestic manufacturing for the most part. Amazon versus local buying will kill local economies, which will eventually gut your neighborhood/city.

I’m not sure what the market correction for this will be, but I still feel it should be a free market decision/correction.
    Free market yes. But I can’t sell a stove from my store unless it meats all Canadian safety standards. Same for any product sold in stores in Canada.

Places like amazon don’t adhere to these laws.
    Yes you can find some less that savoury places that will sell uncertified products but there are suppose to be laws and government entities to prevent and punish when this happens.

They don’t care about amazon for some reason.
    People will die then maybe they will reign them in.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Not only will you find pretty much anything on Amazon, I find many times it's the ONLY place I can find an item, especially without going WAY out of my way to get it. And cheaper. And delivered to my door quickly.

Sorry mom and pop shops: your business model is outdated and obsolete.
    this additude is why small community’s are hurting and why we have large corporations paying shit wages.

People can’t look to the big picture.

In time people will regret this stance.

Mustang Occasionally
    It's not just mom and pop, small town shops tho.

Eaton's, Sears and even giants like Walmart are taking a hit. Walmart has is closing down a bunch of Sam's Club stores. I wonder how much longer The Bay will be around too. Same with places like Best Buy. And as Amazon and the likes become even more efficient and expand into other areas, you will likely see physical grocery stores taking a dive. This is not something that's been happening overnight tho. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. Amazon, for example, has been around since 1994. That's 24 years!

In just over 100 years, we've gone from horse and buggy to cars that are literally driving themselves. Now I'm sure there were probably more farriers and people who repaired buggies back then. But as times changed, so did the jobs. Technology moved on and so did the people with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    It's not just mom and pop, small town shops tho.

Eaton's, Sears and even giants like Walmart are taking a hit. Walmart has is closing down a bunch of Sam's Club stores. I wonder how much longer The Bay will be around too. Same with places like Best Buy. And as Amazon and the likes become even more efficient and expand into other areas, you will likely see physical grocery stores taking a dive. This is not something that's been happening overnight tho. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. Amazon, for example, has been around since 1994. That's 24 years!

In just over 100 years, we've gone from horse and buggy to cars that are literally driving themselves. Now I'm sure there were probably more farriers and people who repaired buggies back then. But as times changed, so did the jobs. Technology moved on and so did the people with it.
    Your last paragraph was going to be my point. We all have to change with the times. Change isn't always a bad thing.
    ~Scott B