Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No wonder Amazon is so big

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    It's not just mom and pop, small town shops tho.

Eaton's, Sears and even giants like Walmart are taking a hit. Walmart has is closing down a bunch of Sam's Club stores. I wonder how much longer The Bay will be around too. Same with places like Best Buy. And as Amazon and the likes become even more efficient and expand into other areas, you will likely see physical grocery stores taking a dive. This is not something that's been happening overnight tho. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. Amazon, for example, has been around since 1994. That's 24 years!

In just over 100 years, we've gone from horse and buggy to cars that are literally driving themselves. Now I'm sure there were probably more farriers and people who repaired buggies back then. But as times changed, so did the jobs. Technology moved on and so did the people with it.
    The ironic part about Wal-mart is they did the same to the small independents and now they are suffering from other giants poking at their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    It's not just mom and pop, small town shops tho.

Eaton's, Sears and even giants like Walmart are taking a hit. Walmart has is closing down a bunch of Sam's Club stores. I wonder how much longer The Bay will be around too. Same with places like Best Buy. And as Amazon and the likes become even more efficient and expand into other areas, you will likely see physical grocery stores taking a dive. This is not something that's been happening overnight tho. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time. Amazon, for example, has been around since 1994. That's 24 years!

In just over 100 years, we've gone from horse and buggy to cars that are literally driving themselves. Now I'm sure there were probably more farriers and people who repaired buggies back then. But as times changed, so did the jobs. Technology moved on and so did the people with it.
    The ironic part about Wal-mart is they did the same to the small independents and now they are suffering from other giants poking at their business.

How much different is Amazon than the catalogs from Sears, Eaton's or Consumers Distributing?
    -Don____________

Mustang Occasionally
    No short pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    How much different is Amazon than the catalogs from Sears, Eaton's or Consumers Distributing?
    OMG...I remember Consumers Distributing in the 70's & 80's. They didn't last much more than a decade IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmare View Post
    Your last paragraph was going to be my point. We all have to change with the times. Change isn't always a bad thing.
    True but we aren’t talking about changes that effect thousands of people. We are not talking changes that will affect hundreds of thousands.

Along the same lines as self driving cars. If and when that becomes a thing some experts predict it will amount to the single larges amount of job losses in history. The effects could be catastrophic to our economy’s.

Change with the times Is always a nice saying unless your the one loosing everything

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    True but we aren’t talking about changes that effect thousands of people. We are not talking changes that will affect hundreds of thousands.

Along the same lines as self driving cars. If and when that becomes a thing some experts predict it will amount to the single larges amount of job losses in history. The effects could be catastrophic to our economy’s.

Change with the times Is always a nice saying unless your the one loosing everything
    Some experts might say that, but do they address the huge amount of new jobs that will be created by this new tech? Did the blacksmith think that the sky was falling when the automobile came out? Probably. Are we glad they did anyway? Hell yes. Jobs that we can't even imagine right now will come about and people will shift into them.

Change can be difficult, and yes, some people may not be able to move with the times. Yes, some may lose everything, but that is a sad fact of life. People can change careers; and do so all the time.

Anyway, I'm just saying that the consumers are going to dictate how they want to shop and the coming changes are going to reflect the want of the masses and it isn't always a bad thing. I personally don't love using Amazon or similar sites. I like to touch, try on etc. and buy from a brick and mortar location.
    ~Scott B

Club Supporter
    Just attended a presentation that covered some of this stuff today (AI>Machine Learning>Deep Learning, other disruptions, pace of change in the past/current/future (compression), enablers, how Walmart was pretty much written off 5 years ago and how they responded to the Amazon threat in terms of infrastructure and where they are today), why Tesla grew the way they did when electric car technology is older than combustion engine technology (capital market changes), 730 day forward view...all really interesting stuff. I'll see if I can find a recorded presentation of the speaker somewhere.

Mustang Occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmare View Post
    I like to touch, try on etc....
    TMI, dude. TMI.

WTF
    my awesome little wife....who will never stop in her quest to have a different outfit for every day of the decade....will never shop online for the most part

when it comes to clothes and shoes and fashion and women.....online shopping just doesn't fucking work

she wants to see it, feel it, smell it...try it on to see if it fits right...see if it looks right etc

online shopping does not stand a chance vs brick and mortar with her

and I'm more than cool with that

having a nice day out with my wife cruising in a nice ride....stopping at a few shops where she picks up a few things........stopping for lunch at a nice mom and pop place that does a nice clubhouse with fries and gravy.....or maybe a spectacular BLT.....it doesn't get any better

seriously folks?

you wanna sit in front of a fucking screen for the rest of your life telling everyone how fucking awesome the life experience was when you went "click, click, click...done"?

be careful what you wish for....cause you will never know how good you've got it til it's gone