Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  89
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The new minimum wage: are jobs being lost?

The new minimum wage: are jobs being lost?

OK. This is just a very small sample. Maybe it means nothing, but I am mentioning it anyway.
    Recently I have dined out at 3 different restaurants.
    One is a large sit down chicken restaurant, easily seating 150 or more people. It's local, and we have been may times over the last 9 years since we moved to Newmarket. We went on Saturday evening and the first thing we heard was from the waitress, who warned us that service would be slow.
    At one point, she could not refill our soft drinks, because, although they replacement canisters in the basement, no one had time to go downstairs to bring them up.
    Then she apologized again because they were shorthanded.

A few days later we went for lunch on Sunday to another franchise burger chain: a sit down restaurant to which we again had been numerous times. Unfortunately, the same thing happened. We were warned before we sat down that they were shorthanded and it would take longer.
    during our meal, the waitress confided that the short-handedness was probably permanent, and that her tip percentage had dropped significantly since the minimum wage went up.

At yet a third restaurant, also a franchise but for fish and chips this time, the same thing again happened.

I am not necessarily reading anything into this, just making a brief observation, but it does seem apparent that jobs are being lost. Thanks again Ontario Liberals.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Noticed it a bit as of late at a few coffee shops. Have heard from a few folks with teenagers at home a lot of part time hours have be slashed, so perhaps not full on job loss but definitely a reduction in hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

We went to Joey's last Saturday. It was wonderful. They took our drink orders, we both had a nice French Grenache, then they gave us a free sample of some pork dumplings. They were soooo good we decided to get it as an appetizer. There was a lot of people there and a couple of really annoying kids. Then we ordered our main course. I had a delicious steak cooked to perfection, maybe they use sous-vide? Whatever they did it was great! My wife ordered the Hawaiian Tuna Tacos. We got married in Hawaii. While we were in Hawaii we took a helicopter ride, and we were on a cruise. The food on the cruise was very good but the service was mediocre. It wasn't as good as the cruise we took on the Mediterranean. Anyway, I digress. Joey's didn't seem to be short staffed due to the Liberals increasing the minimum wage. We didn't have desert because we were too full. There was a really annoying group of really old people at the table next to us. When they were done and leaving, one old woman (who was the more mobile of the trio) got up and put her coat on and proceeded to the door were she held it open for the other two. They took their bloody time getting up and dressed, and the entire time the front doors are open and everybody is freezing.

So I recommend Joey's.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    We went to Joey's last Saturday. It was wonderful. They took our drink orders, we both had a nice French Grenache, then they gave us a free sample of some pork dumplings. They were soooo good we decided to get it as an appetizer. There was a lot of people there and a couple of really annoying kids. Then we ordered our main course. I had a delicious steak cooked to perfection, maybe they use sous-vide? Whatever they did it was great! My wife ordered the Hawaiian Tuna Tacos. We got married in Hawaii. While we were in Hawaii we took a helicopter ride, and we were on a cruise. The food on the cruise was very good but the service was mediocre. It wasn't as good as the cruise we took on the Mediterranean. Anyway, I digress. Joey's didn't seem to be short staffed due to the Liberals increasing the minimum wage. We didn't have desert because we were too full. There was a really annoying group of really old people at the table next to us. When they were done and leaving, one old woman (who was the more mobile of the trio) got up and put her coat on and proceeded to the door were she held it open for the other two. They took their bloody time getting up and dressed, and the entire time the front doors are open and everybody is freezing.

So I recommend Joey's.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

WTF

So I recommend Joey's.
    lmfao

10/10 from the Canadian Judge

A local restaurant to us actually asked us to fill out a quick poll. They typically have complementary nachos/salsa at the table when you're seated and the handful of candies when you get your bill. Due to cut backs one had to go, so they were asking customer input as to what gets chopped. Shaving a buck wherever they can. Price hikes and new menus happened months ago, I personally think they were prepping for the wage hike it before it happened that way people didn't bitch about higher prices as of Jan 1st.

It's happening everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TC86GT View Post
    A local restaurant to us actually asked us to fill out a quick poll. They typically have complementary nachos/salsa at the table when you're seated and the handful of candies when you get your bill. Due to cut backs one had to go, so they were asking customer input as to what gets chopped. Shaving a buck wherever they can. Price hikes and new menus happened months ago, I personally think they were prepping for the wage hike it before it happened that way people didn't bitch about higher prices as of Jan 1st.

It's happening everywhere.
    This is a good way to do it get the customers involved. For all the people I’ve seen bitching about horrible business owners. I’ve not yet seen one offering to pay more out of their pocket to help cover the wage increase.

A small local schwarma place near me has 2 full time and 2 part time employees. the owner is an acquaintance of mine. I was speaking to him the other day. Out of the blue, he now has to spend an extra $360 a week to cover the increase in wages. He said to me that he had been holding his own for years, but was now afraid to raise prices, so he has little choice but to let one of the part timers go, and work more hours himself. I think Ms. Wynne should visit his restaurant.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

THE RESTAURNTS I FREQUENT HAVE NOT CHANGED A BIT,PRICE AND SERVICE STILL GOOD.I pay my helpers $16.00 per hour already above min. wage!!

2019 Roush Race Red RS3 Mustang GT
    2019 White Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Ltd
    2019 Chevy Equinox AWD

So I recommend Joey's.
    Joel,