Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  89
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The new minimum wage: are jobs being lost?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    We went to Joey's last Saturday. It was wonderful. They took our drink orders, we both had a nice French Grenache, then they gave us a free sample of some pork dumplings. They were soooo good we decided to get it as an appetizer. There was a lot of people there and a couple of really annoying kids. Then we ordered our main course. I had a delicious steak cooked to perfection, maybe they use sous-vide? Whatever they did it was great! My wife ordered the Hawaiian Tuna Tacos. We got married in Hawaii. While we were in Hawaii we took a helicopter ride, and we were on a cruise. The food on the cruise was very good but the service was mediocre. It wasn't as good as the cruise we took on the Mediterranean. Anyway, I digress. Joey's didn't seem to be short staffed due to the Liberals increasing the minimum wage. We didn't have desert because we were too full. There was a really annoying group of really old people at the table next to us. When they were done and leaving, one old woman (who was the more mobile of the trio) got up and put her coat on and proceeded to the door were she held it open for the other two. They took their bloody time getting up and dressed, and the entire time the front doors are open and everybody is freezing.

So I recommend Joey's.
    Head trauma??? LMAO!
    The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.

Leonardo da Vinci

Don, you have to post that on their google review page
    Joel,

Quote Originally Posted by The Newmare View Post
    THE RESTAURNTS I FREQUENT HAVE NOT CHANGED A BIT,PRICE AND SERVICE STILL GOOD.I pay my helpers $16.00 per hour already above min. wage!!
    This is great for places that are busy enough to support that wage. But a lot of small town places are really struggling.

Local restraunt sold last year after the wage increase was announced. New owners cut hours and layed off pretty much everyone. Now just work it themselves.

So many (like those in our governments) focus on the big cities cuz that where they win the elections. Everyone else just trying to get by gets screwed.

I also have always payed my employees above minim wage. 15 per hour which in our small town ain’t bad.

One has already looked at me and said if he is still making 15 next year when minus jumps again. “The heavy lifting and customer hassle I deal with isn’t worth it when I can go any where and get payed the same at minimum.”

So just real world numbers.
    My wife and I have owned this business for 4years we take home a combined 100k
    Every dime then usiness has made in the last 4 years has gone into paying off the start up fees and re building the business.

We were dropped out of the blue 2 years ago by a creditor and forced to pay off a large chunk of debt. we had to sell off floor stock to do that which left the store looking empty for about 9 months. This is bad news for retail and routers started to fly. Our sales were cut in half that year.

We have clawed back and managed to reborrow to re fill stock, replace a broken truck and compleat a much needed facelift. Things are turning around but I’ve dumped another 100k into the store this year to try and right the ship.

This entire time my employees never had to worry about their pay checks.
    We didn’t get ours untill all other stuff was payed each week. We still kept the Christmas bonuses and all the other perks with the exception of the benefit plan. Was just too much and our guys were not really using it so after a meeting they agreed it was an unneeded expense.

Now if I have to give my guys each a $3/hour raid to keep I longed with the new minimum

The only place for that extra $11000 per year to come out of is my wage.

Which will mean a pay cut and that one of my employees will be taking home more than I do.
    While I retain all the debt and risk and work twice the hours he does.

I do this as a long term investment for my family. I know we can grow this business and once we are out from under the large start up costs it can be profitable for us. I believe in giving back to my community in investing in its people

This is what the government dosnt get. This is what they can’t see when all they look at is multi million dollar franchises.

This is the reality of thousands and thousands of small business Across the country.

When is enough enough?

When do I say screw it and move the city to triple my wage doing the same work for another larger corporation that doesn’t give a shit about it’s customers, employees and their community’s?
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 01-23-2018 at 05:54 PM.

What I got from Don’a post was that he find kids and old people annoying Lol

Short answer to the title question. Yes.

So tell me how long should the minimum wage have stayed at 11 bucks an hour? Another 20 years? While the cost of living grows astronomically?

It took over 40 years for it to go up from around 2 bucks an hour to what it is now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The former minimum wage was linked to inflation. I believe it went up every year (assuming inflation I suppose).

Google will show you inflation adjusted minimum wages for the last 50 years or so, I believe right now will be the highest it's ever been in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by G-ForceJunkie View Post
    The former minimum wage was linked to inflation. I believe it went up every year (assuming inflation I suppose).

Google will show you inflation adjusted minimum wages for the last 50 years or so, I believe right now will be the highest it's ever been in Ontario.
    This plenty of experts say it was on par with minimum way back to the 50’s? when you factor in inflation

What has changed is back then it wasn’t a career choice it was a part time job for teens or somone looking for a little extra cash.

Our society has turned in to debt hungry people who have forgotten what a want is vs a need
    So somone spends past their means and can’t afford to cover their bills and it’s the evil business owners job to make it right. Or so thinks the government.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    This plenty of experts say it was on par with minimum way back to the 50’s? when you factor in inflation

What has changed is back then it wasn’t a career choice it was a part time job for teens or somone looking for a little extra cash.

Our society has turned in to debt hungry people who have forgotten what a want is vs a need
    So somone spends past their means and can’t afford to cover their bills and it’s the evil business owners job to make it right. Or so thinks the government.
    I think today is vastly different. Its not exactly easy to find a good paying job with benefits and security, so many are forced to find minimum wage jobs ( multiple ) to scrape by. Everything got expensive as well. Its not exactly black and white.

Also I would say the same for business owners: to live within their means, cut back on lavish life styles etc and adapt to the changes just like everyone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What many don't understand, when all is said and done, every growing number of small to mid size business owners have merely bought themselves a job and are not making what you think. Last time I checked, we live in a free society where govt should start paying better attention to their own short comings vs shoving unrealistic demands on the very business's that they claim are the back bone of our country.
    Could you or anyone else you know stomach being told almost overnight you need to take a 20%+ drop in pay? Thats exactly what the Ont Lib's have shoved down biz owners throats. Many of these business models are built around a labor cost of X and operate on small profit margins making money only on volume.
    Best part is, these pricks have spun it to make biz owners the bad guys when in reality it's them breaking biz owners balls to buy them votes.