Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  89
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The new minimum wage: are jobs being lost?

03svt
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    I think today is vastly different. Its not exactly easy to find a good paying job with benefits and security, so many are forced to find minimum wage jobs ( multiple ) to scrape by. Everything got expensive as well. Its not exactly black and white.

Also I would say the same for business owners: to live within their means, cut back on lavish life styles etc and adapt to the changes just like everyone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I agree with half of what your saying, I don’t have a problem with the min wage increase, I think it could have been done a little more gradual over the next couple years though.

Pay Doesn’t Increase with my staff, but Im wondering if suppliers will start raising prices? Time will tell.

The second half of your comment about business owners adapting, your forgetting we assume all the risk, and should benefit from that risk! if you don’t like that, start your own business and become a job creator and watch how your opinion changes!

Nothings changed, my Dad worked on average 14,15 or 16+ hrs 6 and sometimes 7 days a week when I was a kid while my Mom worked from home. Bought a house n poured every cent they could scrounge to pay it off. One of the last familys' in my group of friends to have a color TV or cable, did not take big trips, never had a new car nor did we eat out very often. Fast forward to today, everyone has to have the latest n greatest cell phone with a gazillion gigs of date, same with a computer, same with a nice car or cars, eats out on a reg basis, takes big $$ vacations at least once a year, nothing but big label sunglasses, clothes n the such but bitches whines n complains they can't afford to buy a house in todays market cause their greedy boss is making too much money. While I agree big dollar jobs are disappearing at an alarming rate, same goes for the level of profit many business owners should be making especially given they are in many cases, risking everything they have in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 03svt View Post
    I agree with half of what your saying, I don’t have a problem with the min wage increase, I think it could have been done a little more gradual over the next couple years though. Doesn’t Increase with my staff, but Im wondering if suppliers will start raising prices? Time will tell.

The second half of your comment about business owners adapting, your forgetting we assume all the risk, and should benefit from that risk! if you don’t like that, start your own business and become a job creator and watch how your opinion changes!
    I understand the risks involved. I just think everyone has to adapt to the changes instead of blaming one another. Some businesses were able to slowely increase prices by a marginal degree in order to offset the minimum wage increase and thus survive ( for example ).

Im fortunate enough to have landed a decent job recently. However I had to deal with working shit minimum wage jobs ( before) and feeling the pressure of cost of living bills and all the other unnecessary over priced expenses.

I have no problem with business owners benefiting from their risks and hard work. Again, both parties should always think ahead and if shit hits the fan both parties need to "live within their means". If it means cutting back on projects, boats, fast cars or multi realestate then so be it.

Performance Redefined OneQwkStang's Avatar
    A lot of small business owners are cutting employees and working the hours themselves.

I think today is vastly different. Its not exactly easy to find a good paying job with benefits and security, so many are forced to find minimum wage jobs ( multiple ) to scrape by. Everything got expensive as well. Its not exactly black and white.

Also I would say the same for business owners: to live within their means, cut back on lavish life styles etc and adapt to the changes just like everyone else.

Business in my area have joined together to do job fairs around the province. Openings for upwards of 400 jobs. Most with benefits and none paying minimum wage. No one in our area can find people that are willing to show up and work.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Business in my area have joined together to do job fairs around the province. Openings for upwards of 400 jobs. Most with benefits and none paying minimum wage. No one in our area can find people that are willing to show up and work.
    There must be something amiss

Has been a problem for years the stigma of in need to make “this much per hour” and if your not collage educated you won’t amiunt to anything has been driving the younger generation away

In Toronto you can’t live off $15 per hour.
    I’ll agree with that 100%

But around here 15 is not bad.

I payed $115000 for my house 5 years ago. That’s not a typo.

Two story brick century home with a nice big yard and detached single garage. Move in ready
    $115,000

In interview people for a part time delivery Job. And offer 15 per hour

I’ve had guys look at me and say no. You will pay me 30.
    Lol that’s more than I take home

Local place does manufacturing did a 2 month advertising spree to start a second shift because they are so busy.

Got in a bunch or resumes. Called every single one for interview. 8 people responded.
    Of those 8 four came back for orientation and after the first week only one was showing up for work everyday

The current workforce is lazy. Un motivated and expects big money for little work.
    They show up drunk or high have no respect for other property and no clue on customer service.

This is my experience in the last 5 years as a business owner.
    You might get one good employee out of every ten you try.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Nothings changed, my Dad worked on average 14,15 or 16+ hrs 6 and sometimes 7 days a week when I was a kid while my Mom worked from home. Bought a house n poured every cent they could scrounge to pay it off. One of the last familys' in my group of friends to have a color TV or cable, did not take big trips, never had a new car nor did we eat out very often. Fast forward to today, everyone has to have the latest n greatest cell phone with a gazillion gigs of date, same with a computer, same with a nice car or cars, eats out on a reg basis, takes big $$ vacations at least once a year, nothing but big label sunglasses, clothes n the such but bitches whines n complains they can't afford to buy a house in todays market cause their greedy boss is making too much money. While I agree big dollar jobs are disappearing at an alarming rate, same goes for the level of profit many business owners should be making especially given they are in many cases, risking everything they have in the world.
    Nail on the head

I have an ex friend who used to always bitch about. Or having money. Was constant.
    Every time we would go anywhere it was a huge fight with his wife about how they couldn’t afford anything

I got tired of my and tried to talk to him one day about how his money problems were on him and he needed to control his and his wife’s spending.

He got mad and told me not all of us are rich business owners.

Did the math. Him and his wife took home more money that my wife and I did
    But
    His house 270,000.
    My house 115,000

He had two cell phones both with big dollar plans dispute his wife working from home. Fastest possible internet, big cable package
    Used car on high interest payments.

Dinners and movies and shopping shopping. Shopping credit cards maxed out.
    Got a big bonus at work every year. (Like multiple thousands) and every year blew it on stupid stuff.

Where as my wife and I have resinablencell phone plans. No cable. Slow internet.
    No movies, no shopping trips for stuff we don’t need ect ect ect

We sacrifice so that when i found the 40 year old boat I was able to buy it. Cheap house lets me have the new truck and camping trailer.

People need to learn to make choices about what they need, what they want and what they can afford.

No one knows how to do that

There must be something amiss

Actually it's not, super common.

Club Supporter

I don't think the majority of business owners out there are living lavish lifestyles - yes, there is a small percentage but many have all the assets/wealth tied up in risk capital/investments and not necessarily living/rolling in cash - one wrong move and/or turn of the economy and it could all go away very quickly. yes, there are a few who are very liquid and live that lifestyle you describe but I think they are in the minority of small business owners. Most moderately successful one probably end up making the high end of the Canadian average household income (high 5-figure to low 6-figure) which doesn't really buy that lavish lifestyle.