Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  89
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: The new minimum wage: are jobs being lost?

Might have to add that to my driving list.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Might have to add that to my driving list.
    I had thought of you in the past on this one and meant to start a podcast subscription thread - that you would enjoy his approach/thoughts. I'm always looking for good/interesting content.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    good idea
    It's on my to do list to make a list of my podcast subscriptions....will do next couple days.

So after a lot of thinking about this min wage hike and my own recent new hire. I'm at this.
    Yes min wage has gone up and will do so again next year. In my opinion it was long over due. if you are going to have a minimum wage to stop the exploitation of workers then at least put it somewhere close to making it relevant.
    Now my last hire started at 12hr green as grass and has quickly received raises throughout the year on his own merit.
    And is well above min wage at this point.
    I have recently hired another and despite a lack lustre performance the first week there are some promising attributes.
    So at this point although I'm paying what I would consider to be too much for someone to clean buckets and sweep floors.
    He too will learn and be worth much more in time. We all started somewhere and I'm dam sure there have been days and weeks that I've been paid more than I was worth and if you feel that's not your case than your wrong.
    I put this kid on a job he was not capable of and complained that I didn't make money. That's a me problem.
    Min wage for min knowledge what ever dollar is attached
    At the end of the week it's one guy and a few bucks it's not going to sink us.
    If you have many people making min wage like a Tims then you are probably pushing volumes and it's not going to sink you either.

From the article
    "Last year, he opened a new restaurant called Annabelle Pasta Bar in Toronto's west end, specifically with the wage hike in mind. Annabelle serves three pasta dishes a day for $10 each, and it operates out of a space that was formerly a convenience store".

So why can't they just increase the cost of the pasta dish to $11 or $12 instead of $10 rather than cutting the menu. Maybe I am missing something here, but I certainly don't expect small business/ restaurants etc to just accept this wage hike and keep all of their pricing the same as they previously were. I am well informed on the matter (as most people are) and expect things to be slightly more expensive now and more expensive again in 2019 due to both inflation and the next phase of the wage hike. I get this restaurateur likes having a round number like 10 bucks to be able to advertise his menu, but at some point it would have to increase regardless of the cost of minimum wage, so what's the difference.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    From the article
    "Last year, he opened a new restaurant called Annabelle Pasta Bar in Toronto's west end, specifically with the wage hike in mind. Annabelle serves three pasta dishes a day for $10 each, and it operates out of a space that was formerly a convenience store".

So why can't they just increase the cost of the pasta dish to $11 or $12 instead of $10 rather than cutting the menu. Maybe I am missing something here, but I certainly don't expect small business/ restaurants etc to just accept this wage hike and keep all of their pricing the same as they previously were. I am well informed on the matter (as most people are) and expect things to be slightly more expensive now and more expensive again in 2019 due to both inflation and the next phase of the wage hike. I get this restaurateur likes having a round number like 10 bucks to be able to advertise his menu, but at some point it would have to increase regardless of the cost of minimum wage, so what's the difference.
    Not so black and white/easy in the restaurant business - very high failure rate, changing customer tastes, high start-up costs. The family of someone who works for me has a Korean restaurant downtown and I was asking him about pricing and competition in the business last week, and from their perspective price increases typically mean a hit to their business since the sector is so fierce in terms of competition and choice (moreso in some sub-segments than others). I don't think it's about the round number per se but a 10% or 20% price increase isn't that easy to do (CPI is ~2%).

make Ont. great again............DON'T vote LIBTARD!!!!!!!!!
    '86 LX--5.2 Predator,TVS 2.65,built 6r80,308 gear,recaros,etc, 863 rwhp....@15 psi
    '03 Cobra DSG built 4v,TW cams,built t56.G-force axles ---3.0 Whipple 840 rwhp……….(18psi)
    '23 Ranger Lariat Splash.

So the wife and I are huge fans of McCoy Burger Co. They prize themselves on local beef that they ground the chuck daily. It is the juiciest most flavorful burger I have ever had. It's just dripping in goodness. After a few bites the burger starts to fall apart. It is so messy that you need 30+ napkins.
    The wife and I get a burger each and share Beer Battered Onion Rings. but the burger is so filling that we're never able to touch the onion rings never mind finishing them (and I'm a pretty big guy).

Anyhoo.. before I go full Don and go off topic. I think McCoy's may have been affected by the minimum wage hike. First thing I noticed was my favorite burger "The Loaded 2X4" is off the menu. Gone! I asked and they told me is was too expensive so they took it off the menu. NOOOOooo.... You can still get the plain "2X4" but it's not the same.

2nd thing of course was the price went up, but we didn't really notice.

3rd (I hope that this was just a one off) the quality and size were way under par! The wife and I finished the burgers and the Beer Battered Onion Rings like it was nothing. The paddy was smaller than the bun. Hell It was smaller than the onion ring under the bun. To top it all off I only used 3 napkins.

We were disappointed and It was Meh. We really hope that it was just a bad day

Side note they were supposed to open a new location in Ajax last November... Looks like that's on hold. I keep checking, drooling on the windows, but there's no progress.
    Joel,

03svt
    So everyone is raising prices to accommodate the wage hike, what was gained? Surely this had to be expected...