Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  89
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: The new minimum wage: are jobs being lost?

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    It appears Canadian Tire in Bolton cut back on their store hours. They close 2 hours earlier on weekdays now and 1 hour earlier on Sunday. I wonder how many stores are going to do this?
    You can guarantee it's the start of a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    It appears Canadian Tire in Bolton cut back on their store hours. They close 2 hours earlier on weekdays now and 1 hour earlier on Sunday. I wonder how many stores are going to do this?
    My co-worker told me today, No Frills and Longos also cut back on their store hours as well.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    My co-worker told me today, No Frills and Longos also cut back on their store hours as well.
    Forgot about the grocery stores - had to buy some milk on the way home last night and stopped at the Food Basics I drive by every day at Highway 50 & 7 only to find they shortened the store hours and closed an hour earlier during the week.

It's the part-timers that are getting cut to offset the cost increase.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I saw on twitter 137,000 part time jobs have been lost
    Yes that was the national number - Ontario lost 59.3K part-time jobs.

Our dealership has not cut jobs yet but did cut overtime completely in the quick lube, which sucks because a lot of the guys there relied on that extra income....thx Wynne.

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    Haven’t had Dominos since I was in school I n the US lol , is it good ? That was the go to at 2am
    Still good, yes, our go to was always pizza pizza, lol, crap compared to dominos.

stangstevers
    Pizza pizza is like the subway of pizza so bland but my kid loves it so I order it. So want a real wooden pizza oven for za real thing... if you ever had pizza in NYC... ya know what real good pizza is lol

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    bad decision in any case.

the min wage only went up in Ontario didn't it?
    The NDP in Alberta announced (before Ontario) their minimum wage would be going up in late 2018, while Ontario is next. Not sure if Quebec did already as they lost jobs too...but it is Quebec. BC announced they are raising theirs as well but I don't recall when.

stangstevers
    Or could it be due to trumps protectionism tactics? Canada needs a real leader to face the issues at hand... one who could negotiate versus worry about words with “man” in them

Don't forget that it's going up by another $1/hr in 10.5 months. Even more cutbacks coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutt gt View Post
    So after a lot of thinking about this min wage hike and my own recent new hire. I'm at this.
    Yes min wage has gone up and will do so again next year. In my opinion it was long over due. if you are going to have a minimum wage to stop the exploitation of workers then at least put it somewhere close to making it relevant.
    Now my last hire started at 12hr green as grass and has quickly received raises throughout the year on his own merit.
    And is well above min wage at this point.
    I have recently hired another and despite a lack lustre performance the first week there are some promising attributes.
    So at this point although I'm paying what I would consider to be too much for someone to clean buckets and sweep floors.
    He too will learn and be worth much more in time. We all started somewhere and I'm dam sure there have been days and weeks that I've been paid more than I was worth and if you feel that's not your case than your wrong.
    I put this kid on a job he was not capable of and complained that I didn't make money. That's a me problem.
    Min wage for min knowledge what ever dollar is attached
    At the end of the week it's one guy and a few bucks it's not going to sink us.
    If you have many people making min wage like a Tims then you are probably pushing volumes and it's not going to sink you either.
    Well after two weeks I have had to let him go. Not because of this min wage but at any min wage.
    Almost every task he was given was done poorly even after being shown how.
    Example
    Pulling old trim nails out of the wall before a carpenter replaces baseboard trim.
    100' after 25 minutes sent back to do it again and don't miss any.
    Three attempts and 45 min later carpenter pulls approx 35 nails while installing the new trim.
    I explain to him that if I ask you to do something and then have to do it over, then what am I paying you to do?
    This scenario was repeated on cleaning the job site, scraping texture ceilings, sanding drywall, priming walls, painting closets.
    It's too bad really because he was on time and generally a likeable guy, and has a kid on the way in April.
    I hope he grows up fast and puts some effort into his next job because he's got a long way to go to be earning $14 or $15.