Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shannonville pay per lap?

stangstevers

Shannonville pay per lap?

Seems like a good way to learn, no one to run into... now I’m hoping ZR or Red is brave enough to coach me on a few laps? I’ve only done ice racing in Quebec over 20 years ago lol

No but seriously that seems cool 6 bucks a lap?

One of the best places to get your feet wet, spring track day at TMP. Given we divided as per experience level, no pressure.

stangstevers
    Interesting... so no one tries to drive beyond their limit and cause a 20 car pile-up at the track? That's what I'm scared of, that and of course me going too slow, not really having a good line and annoying everyone...

Drivers are divided into three groups. Last yr we added no passing in the Rookie group, feedback was nothing but positive with several coming up and saying they felt it took pressure off them while they learned. Best part is, if you find a level doesn't suit, no stress to move up or down. The day is about making it fun for everyone regardless of their experience level.

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Interesting... so no one tries to drive beyond their limit and cause a 20 car pile-up at the track? That's what I'm scared of, that and of course me going too slow, not really having a good line and annoying everyone...
    I'll second ZR's comment. Track days at TMP are the perfect place to get your feet wet. Zero pressure for track newbs.

stangstevers
    Sweet... I'd still like an experienced driver show me the ropes. I'm not into driving beyond my skills or what my car can do... I'm too old for that and don't want to hit a wall with my fox... Or cause trouble for other people.

But do want to get into this... I mean, my plan for the fox is pretty much the MM catalogue and eventually Cobra IRS... Make it a sweet handling little thing and enjoy it off the stupid streets.

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Sweet... I'd still like an experienced driver show me the ropes. I'm not into driving beyond my skills or what my car can do... I'm too old for that and don't want to hit a wall with my fox... Or cause trouble for other people.

But do want to get into this... I mean, my plan for the fox is pretty much the MM catalogue and eventually Cobra IRS... Make it a sweet handling little thing and enjoy it off the stupid streets.
    This is pretty much how I approach track day. Not looking to set lap records, just out there to have fun and be safe. I'll ride with you if you like.

Gets even better at TMP, only wall is at the last corner. What I suggest to new guys, at first, don't try to hold any kind of speed through the last corner, treat it as a rest / reset before starting your next lap.

Shannonville is a relatively safe track, and technical enough to be a challenge. I did a ton of laps there in my 87 LX back in the late 80s/early 90s before the TMP and Mosport DDC circuits were around. Closer for you than TMP obviously, but if you have nobody there as a guide then you're just putting in laps and not learning as much as you could with some help (if that's your goal).

As Rick and Stephen mentioned, the DaSilva track days are a great low pressure environment. Controlled passing, a couple of run groups, and lots of experienced people around to offer suggestions and / or ride along to give real-time pointers. I've done some coaching and am always glad to jump in the right seat to assist anyone who is looking for help.

cheers
    Ed
    Last edited by fast Ed; 01-25-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: grammar
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Good point Ed, controlled passing in the mid / experienced group but no passing in Rookie.