Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting to the 8s...checklist.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Getting to the 8s...checklist.

Im curious what direction people would go to get to the 8s or faster.

My goal is to get to an 8 second pass on an iron block and 5 speed.

Ive got the car, floors are going to be replaced in the spring. Im thinking of going twin turbos and ditch the ford ecm for something a little more tuneable. Obviously e7s will not support the boost levels needed to put a sbf into 8s. Do i need a narrowed 9" rear end or can i get there with the 8.8 and small tires?

The biggest goal is keeping it streetable...i want to be able to run it on the street even tho it will almost certainly be trailered everywhere.

I dont think im really asking alot and obviously with enough money you can do anything but lets try to stay within reason.

What's the fastest you have been up till now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

11.5 in a lightning
    Never been faster in a stick car

8s is very fast for a stock block car, especially a stock suspension car.....unless you’re talking 1/8th mile.
    If you’re really serious, ditch the car you have an buy one that’s already prepped as a drag car, it will be huge money to make yours that fast, you can get rollers for fairly cheap by comparison.

Yea ive been thinking this may be the way to go. Id be starting totally from scratch on this car....probably better to buy a built roller and just add power

Quote Originally Posted by Bksrt8 View Post
    Im curious what direction people would go to get to the 8s or faster.

My goal is to get to an 8 second pass on an iron block and 5 speed.

Ive got the car, floors are going to be replaced in the spring. Im thinking of going twin turbos and ditch the ford ecm for something a little more tuneable. Obviously e7s will not support the boost levels needed to put a sbf into 8s. Do i need a narrowed 9" rear end or can i get there with the 8.8 and small tires?

The biggest goal is keeping it streetable...i want to be able to run it on the street even tho it will almost certainly be trailered everywhere.

I dont think im really asking alot and obviously with enough money you can do anything but lets try to stay within reason.
    8's is no joke. 900-1000 WHP at around 3200 lbs should get you into the 8'a solidly. What car are you putting this in? You will never do this on the stock block 550 to the tire on the stock block, then boom. You will need a complete built motor, built trans (i suggest auto), cages, full suspension, etc. If using a SBF it wont pass emissions. 8.8 35 spline stock length will work. Your probably looking at a $50,000 investment.

Yes. May be better to sell your car as it sits if it’s a project, then take that cash and start working on the race car.

I would build gradually, start by getting the car setup and running straight consistent times in the 10’s or 11’s. Unless you have deep pockets and can build the car quickly (before your patience and your motivation wears out) then it’s only going to be slow and steady....running a car into the 8’s is not considered a budget build. It will take serious coin.
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Money is a concern but more of a concern to me anyway, is the limits of working on the car in my driveway. I have a garage but its not big enough to put the car in and work on it. It would take a considerable ammount of time to put a car together by myself. I also would have to buy a hoist and engine stand. One bonus for me is that i live 15 mins away from Dasilva. Maybe a 10 second car is a little more reasonable for now. 8s actually seems a bit scary after watching a few vids. It would definately take some testing to get a car built from the ground up to go straight and do 8 in the quarter. Probably more testing than i have patience for lol

Can only imagine what a 8 sec car would cost in labor... yikes. You sure you want a 8 sec car? I've ridden shotgun in a 10 second car and its pretty retarded.

Just buy a demon
    '88 LX