Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  55
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Trudeau........can he get anything right??

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian88lx View Post
    Thank you for that well written piece on economics. Everything that you have written, I've heard before. Your first line sums up the point I'm trying to make, the two are not related. I know how the meltdown was caused but I don't understand how the conservative government linked the cause of it to the autoworker. Now as far as blaming the high tax rate on the auto loans, I doubt it, as those loans have been repaid. That is a different topic anyway. The point that I'm making and I'm not sure that you are getting, is that the conservative government took money from me because of GM needing a loan to keep operating and I don't feel it was necessary. Therefore I will never vote for another conservative government. You can dress it up however you want but I got fucked by them and cannot in good judgement support them.

- - - Updated - - -
    I can see how you may feel that way since it affected you personally but I don't think that the Conservative government linked the cause of the meltdown to the autoworker. Bottomline is that GM needed a bank loan, no bank was lending money during that period because they themselves could not borrow as inter-bank lending dried up for a period of time while there was uncertainty as to which ones were going to survive - there were bank failures in the US, Iceland, even in the UK there was concern about possible bank failures (and they all got hammered in the markets).

GM would have likely had to file for CCAA protection if the government did not step in and act as a "bank" in this case (I don't recall how badly off they were; I only remember that Ford had done a market financing before the meltdown so they were sitting on a pile of cash from that when the meltdown occurred and did not need a distress loan) - that would have meant massive layoffs - a bigger hit to (ex)workers pockets.

So in the end, the Conservatives probably saved your and other auto workers' jobs although "collateral" had to be given for the "bank" loan so to speak.

As a bank making a loan you would put rules/covenants in place as security and protections for the loan to ensure re-payment. I understand one can say that has nothing to do with me at the micro level, but bigger picture, this is how it works - you're only going to lend money unless you have a reasonable assurance of re-payment. This is simplistic as there are layers to it like when you get into sub-prime (even more rules or higher interest rates) and high yield debt. I think they actually learned from the US who stupidly gave bailout money without the requirements on how it could be used and the bailout money was misused.

canadian, I know exactly how you feel, and I don’t blame you. My mother will never vote Conservative either, because of Mike Harris and what he did to the teachers. It may not seem rational to others, but it’s her opinion. Decades later she still holds that grudge. She felt targeted and singled out just like you do.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by canadian88lx View Post
    The conservatives here in Canada used it as an opportunity to claw back gains from the workers. There is no doubt in my mind that GM certainly encouraged it.
    I don’t know if they encouraged it, but they certainly went along with. Kinda like the Patrick Brown situation. Shitty deal all around, no good for anyone, ....but if we happen to get rid of Brown...
    -Don____________

Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

I guess Boy Blunder isn't going to get to play Mr. Dress up anytime soon with the blow back from India, what an AZZ making the accusation after he pinned it on a rookie MP.

The question no one seems to bring up is how a convicted attempted murderer gets out of the country with this conviction? Hell I have an uncle with a DUI who can't even go to the states, has to apply for a pardon at 10 years (I believe).

India calls accusations it set up the Atwal affair 'baseless and unacceptable'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/indi...less-1.4555138

Looks like he was going in to plant one on Modi's lips in this picture, he may have to do a reach around to make up for this.

india-canada-trudeau.jpg