Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Found a deal on some axles....

Found a deal on some axles....

Theres a set of 31 spline USA Standard Gear axles on kijiji the other day...just wondering if theyre worth 250 or is it better to step up to a moser or strange?

I'd make sure that they are perfect for that price, I bought a set of TEN axles and had issues, the cost of install and removal ended up costing more then the axles did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Depends on your combo really.

When do we start worrying about breaking axles?...from the little research ive done, the 28 spline stockers arent super strong but are they good enough to handle 350-400 whp? If i did a 31-35 spline do i need to change anything else or just the spool? I think id probably do a brake upgrade at the same time.

Concern starts when you bolt on a slick or similar.

Stick car, buy the biggest, strongest axles you can afford. Automatic car with a soft leave, you can typically push the limits a bit more. I've seen 13 second stick cars snap stock axles like a pretzel stick a few times, and I've seen automatic 10 second cars run stockers with success. Like Rick said, bolt on some sticky tires and odds of breakage go up exponentially. Drag radials are harder on the driveline parts, but slicks can do an equally good job of finding weak points.

There are differential options out there now that'll go up to 35 spline and not have to get a spool. Keep in mind breaking the 10 second barrier will need C clip eliminators as well or 9" style end with retainer plates for the axles.

Oh yea, i forgot about the c clips, ive seen a few cars break those at the track....thats a problem i dont need for sure

Do not Screw around! Pick Moser Or Strange! The rest do no not have the hardness!

I think you meant strength. Hardness = brittle.
    -Don____________