Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Panel Gaps and Assembly

Mustang8

Question Panel Gaps and Assembly

Hello everyone, I'm happy to join this group as I've always liked the Mustang brand and that intoxicating V8 exhaust sound, and I've been shopping for a 2016+ Cali Special model.

I looked at my first one last night, and noticed that model, in addition to several of the newer ones, had panel gaps (i.e. wider gaps one side where the rear bumper joinrs the rear quarter panel), or the fender flares on the body didn't quite line up with the flare on the bumpers.

I'm a Japanese car guy where assembly quality is pretty good. Are these panel gaps normal, and just a different standard compared to the Japanese and German OEMs? Wanted to get members' takes on this. Thanks in advance, and look forward to learning more about these cars once I do find one since I am very DIY-oriented.

Mustang Occasionally
    There were some issues with proper panel alignment where the rear bumper meets the rear quarter panel. It was a pretty common complaint among S550 owners. Not all cars have the issue but enough of them do. I've read the 2018 is much better.

Japanese/German/Swedish/Italian cars almost always have better fit than domestic cars, Mustangs are fairly bad for fitment and panel gaps but so are Challengers and Camaros, although they’re getting better every year. If it’s a sticking point for you then you may have a hard time finding g a car you like, although as mentioned, some are much worse than others, so if you’re in no rush just keep looking.

The big 3 have never been known for thier assembly quality or attention to detail. If panel fitment is important to you, buy a BMW or Porsche. Im sure youd probably have a better driving experience anyway(stock vs stock). As we all know it generally costs a small fortune to get an american car to keep up to a german car in the corners, so youd be saving money.
    If you just want a fun car that is enjoyable to drive, any of the big 3's offerings will work nicely!

Mustang8
    Thx for the insights, gents!