Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing help

Timing help

So i went out to start the mustang the other day and i could only get extremely loud backfires out of it. I figured i would set the timing from base.
    What ive done is, pull the spout connector, using a compression tester, bring the motor to tdc on compression stroke. Brought the harmonic balancer to 10° before tdc. Slipped the distributor in and dicked with it untill the rotor was pointing at #1. Went to fire it and all i get is the odd fire but it wont run. Should i just put the harmonic balancer to tdc and adjust from there?

Yes, or go one tooth before #1 (rotation is counter-clockwise), which is where it should logically be if you’re at 10deg.

Ok cool ill giver tomorrow.....today is all about that bumper!! Lol

I must be doing something wrong. I put the timing back one tooth and still dont get much in th way of ignition. I get a couple coughs and then a HUGE backfire that has sent the neighbors into thier bomb shelters. Very close to running but then i pulled the plugs one at a time doing compression tests on each cylinder....every plug i pull is soaked in fuel. Do i maybe have a bad fpr?

Is it still an OEM balancer? Could it have started to separate so that the timing marks on it have rotated from where they should be? That can happen.
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by Bksrt8 View Post
    I must be doing something wrong. I put the timing back one tooth and still dont get much in th way of ignition. I get a couple coughs and then a HUGE backfire that has sent the neighbors into thier bomb shelters. Very close to running but then i pulled the plugs one at a time doing compression tests on each cylinder....every plug i pull is soaked in fuel. Do i maybe have a bad fpr?
    Pull the vac hose off the reg n check for fuel.

Ok will do. Im not overly concerned at this point as the floor is too far gone to drive it if we ever get decent weather but having it running sure does make it easier to move around if i need to lol

Did this thing ever run right, if so, what has been done to make it not?
    Just FYI, #1 is the passenger side (right) front, and the cylinders are numbered front to back 1234 on that side and 5678 on the drivers side.

It WAS running decent in the winter once i got a decent battery in it and pulled the dirty air filter. Then i didnt start it for a few weeks and now its doing this. I did look up the firing order and everything checks out. My next step is drain the oil(full of fuel), put fresh oil and filter in. Squirt a little oil in each cylinder because i fear the cylinders have been washed and have no oil protecting them and then new plugs. After i check the fpr of course.

Oil in the cyls will just complicate trying to fire up.