Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on choosing a lift for the garage

Looking for advice on choosing a lift for the garage

I've been thinking about this for awhile and now that my 2 car garage is drywalled I think I'd like to put in a lift that allows me to park on it or do some work on the underside of the car or park underneath. To the ceiling I have 10ft 10" of height which I think is not a problem.
    I know I have to raise the door track height and go to different style of garage door opener.

What other things should I be thinking about?
    Any recommendations on a manufacturer, or style of lift?

I would want to purchase from one who delivers and installs.

And lastly any estimates on much I should budget to do this?

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Check out RedSN's garage build as there is some great info in there. I'm not sure if they still do, but DaSilva's use to sell a brand of lift. I think Costco sells them also.

I take it you are looking for a 4 post lift? I have a Direct Lift Pro Park 8.
    Make sure your slab is minimum 4" thick.
    Highly recommend a dedicated 120V 20amp outlet. The motor on these lifts are 15amps.

Rough costs...
    Lift depending on which model, cheapest $4,000 with taxes.
    Lift delivered and installed $700-$1000 (plus hydraulic fluid)
    High lift track conversion $350-$1500 Yeah no joke, that's the kinda of estimates I got.
    LiftMaster 8500 opener $500, +$150 to install.

Suggest, drill / measure your slab thickness first.

I was so close to ordering a 4 post lift, I have the min garage height 10' 10 and 3/4" but the problem I have is theres a structural "I" beam above my tracks. Not sure if an s bend is possible when raising the tracks?

...love your setup Anthony (True Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxRod View Post
    I was so close to ordering a 4 post lift, I have the min garage height 10' 10 and 3/4" but the problem I have is theres a structural "I" beam above my tracks. Not sure if an s bend is possible when raising the tracks?

...love your setup Anthony (True Blue)
    Thanks Arnold!

From the pictures I've seen, your garage can easily accommodate a lift. There's ways to work around that "I" beam, where the tracks and a vehicle on the lift would have no conflicting issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Suggest, drill / measure your slab thickness first.
    Excellent advice. Especially if any of the posts are going to bear on the slab anywhere near the outside foundation wall. Chances are the backfill was not well compacted and you could have voids under the slab. My slab had about 2” of void under it.

I cut the slab out and poured a 12” thick footing under the post locations.

I went with a Bendpack lift. Mostly because it was the only lift that fit my needs, but also I really liked the heavy duty features of the lift. The air operated locks are nice, and don’t let it scare you off if you don’t have a compressor. I have since hooked mine up to a small 1 gal nailer compressor instead of my big compressor.

Although I’ve heard rumours lately that the build quality of the Benpak lifts have gone downhill since they switched to the grey lifts.

....and Babco delivered and installed.

-Don____________

Don't know my garage floor thickness, though my neighbour said that he remembered them adding extra to my garage floor because the first pouring sank due to the ground below or something like that. He's died so I can't ask again.
    So I will do a test drill.

Another option I've found that would allow me to safely get under the car but not park are these portable hydraulic lifts which has the plus side of being able to change tires or work in that area but can easily be moved and stored easily around the garage. Likely use some jack stands as well.
    https://www.quickjacklift.ca/car-lift-systems.html

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Exactly that Don. Best to be sure you have a safe / secure footing before proceeding or be prepared to do what you did.

Is there a one stop shop that sells the lift, move tracks, checks slab and installs the lifts?

Wow...serious setup Redsn.