Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire, tires, tires...

Tire, tires, tires...

With springs just around the corner, our Mustangs will soon be on the roads and many of us will be looking for new tires (myself included). So here is a thread where you can post questions, reviews, videos, and recommendations about tires.

I'll start with some info about two tires that are on my short list, the Nitto NT555Gen2 and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Nitto add

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou2vXRpUPRA

Nitto review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=3s&v=Dqep6yyFvAA

Firestone review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=52s&v=gldNk7qP1Pg

With recommendations from Ed and others I went with the new Continental Extreme Contact sports. Great reviews for dry/wet conditions on the street and track applications...

Mustang Occasionally
    When I picked up my car in 2015 (S550) I lowered it with the Eibach Pro kit (mild 1" to 1.5" drop) and went with Niche GT5 10.5x20 wheels. For tires I went with MT Street Comps, 275/35 front and 305/35 rears. I had camber bolts installed in the front and an alignment done. I did 4 Dasliva Track days on these tires and a few drag strip events. In addition to that, I also put on about 30K of regular street driving. These tires held up well under the abuse and stuck pretty good on the track. On the plus side, these tires didn't break the bank and there was no noticeable road noise increase as the tires wore. Negatives... Not really much except a slight vibration right around 120km/h on the highway. It was barely noticeable. And at the time, I wasn't sure if it was a tire issue, wheel issue or perhaps a drive shaft issue, of which some S550 owners have complained.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...es/street-comp

Late last summer I replaced the rather worn Street Comps with a new set of Nitto NT-05's. 275/35 front and 305/30 rears. I also had an alignment done again after the install. I have done one fall track day on these so far and a few thousand street km's. The road noise is minimal from these so far and the slight vibration I had previously with the Street Comps is gone. I thought these tires performed very well at the track the one time I was out on them, but I'll be able to provide more feed back this year in regards to that. These tires weren't crazy expensive, nor were they super cheap - more a middle of the road kind of investment. I spent just under $2g's out the door for them, installed and not including the alignment.

https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-...formance-tire/

The Conti are also on my list. As far as the NT05, they were removed from the list as they don't come in a size that will work with my rims.

Good input Chris and Arnold.

Those Mickey Thompsons are made for them by Cooper, and seem to be a decent product, especially at the price point as you mentioned.

The Continental are a nice tire for sure, but I think that Stephen is hoping to spend a bit less on this set.

As I've said before I was very impressed with the Firestones when we put them on the 2017 Ecoboost that I had last summer for a demo. Only negative was a bit more road noise on older pavement surfaces than some other performance tires, but not terrible. Grip and ride were very good. With the $100/set rebate that Firestone will have on this model for spring, they are an outstanding value.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Currently I'm running M/T Street Comps on all 4 corners and the Street Comps are a pretty good tire and great in the rain especially stopping but the rears on dry are not enough, so I just ordered a pair of Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S tires 305/35/20. This year I should be able to hold the power down a lot better on the street instead of spinning and especially with the high stall converter going in I'm going to need a sticky tire, all the reviews say they are what M/T claims them to be so I'll see for myself soon.

Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    With the $100/set rebate that Firestone will have on this model for spring, they are an outstanding value.

cheers
    Ed
    Ed,

Send me a PM if need be, need new rubber for my DD. What would it cost for 225/40/18 tires?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    Late last summer I replaced the rather worn Street Comps with a new set of Nitto NT-05's....I thought these tires performed very well at the track the one time I was out on them, but I'll be able to provide more feed back this year in regards to that. These tires weren't crazy expensive, nor were they super cheap - more a middle of the road kind of investment.
    I have used these as my dedicated track tires for the last few years. My Cobra Rs came with a worn set of NT-05s that I used for a couple of seasons, and then I purchased a second set that I used for a few more seasons. A season for me includes a couple of trips to TMP, and one day at Mosport.

I am hugely impressed by these tires. Once warmed up they provide a very good amount of grip IMO, especially on a low-powered car such as mine. Have heard from others that they did not perform as well on higher powered cars.

That said, my next set of tires are Nankang NS2R (120). Will report back how they do at the track.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    Ed,

Send me a PM if need be, need new rubber for my DD. What would it cost for 225/40/18 tires?

Thanks!

Will do tomorrow for you. Just in case you're not aware, these are summer-only tires, not all-season. You have a set of dedicated winters on it now?
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    Will do tomorrow for you. Just in case you're not aware, these are summer-only tires, not all-season. You have a set of dedicated winters on it now?
    Thanks... I'm aware these are summer tires. Currently running BFG's g-Force Sport Comp-2 tires and yes I use dedicated winters.