Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  8

Thread: 275/35/18 for 18x9 ???

275/35/18 for 18x9 ???

Hey guys, have any of you run the 275/35/18 on your new edge mustangs with the 18x9 rim up front?I’ve been searching on info, and looking at pics... to what I can find... and it’s not enough for me. When I got my FR500’s, my fronts came with 265/35/18, and they fit perfect. I couldn’t imagine going any bigger.
    My issue is that I plan on getting new tires this season to replace my 10 year old tires, and the brand I’m looking at... Mickey Thompson street comps... only offer so many sizes for 18”, and 265/35/18 is not one of them. Closest is 275/35/18. Which keeps it close in check for diameter, but the width concerns me?!? I see that places like American Muscle now offers their 18x9 with 275/35/18, and at at one point it was only 265/35/18.

For specs on the 275 M/T street comps are ...
    9 to 11 rim range
    9.5 measured wheel width
    10.9 section width
    9.7 tread width
    25.5 diameter

The 265 Sumitomo htrz 2’s are...
    9.0 to 10

My concern is the section width? I don’t want them sticking past my fenders? It’s so close now with the 265’s.

Never thought tired would stress the heck out of me. LOL

On my previous 2000 GT I ran 275/35/18 on a 9.5” rim in the rear. My fronts were 255/40/18 if I recall correctly.

Check out Nitto nt555g2 tires. https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-...formance-tire/

I run them on my 17 GT and like them very much so far.
    FABMAN

03-04 Cobra had 275/40R17 on 9" wheels as OEM, and that tire size is going to be pretty much a match for the 275/35R18 for section width and overall diameter. As you've found, the 275/3R18 is more common that 265. The difference is 10 mm in section width, which is going to be split evenly between the inside and outside of course. So 5 mm is slightly less than 1/4" more rubber on the outside.

Also remember that actual measured width can vary by brand and model. Whose 265s do you have on now? I'd suggest that you compare the specs of those tires to the specs for the ones that you're looking to purchase.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

They are the Sumitomo htrz 2. I put the specs in my first post to compare the two.
    But I did do a little digging on the Sumitomo htrz 2 275’s seeing that American Muscle offers that with their 18x9 rims to compare with the Mickey Thompson street comps, and they are exactly the same.
    So Ed, what you are saying is that the 275 will be 1/4 more tire overall? Which will give me an 1/8 more on each side? Am I reading your response correctly? If that’s all then it shouldn’t be a big deal then.
    I’ve neen beating myself all day on tire research so I understand what everything means. I have never in all my years driving put this much thought into tires.

Here is a pic with a straight edge to show my concern with size to fender. This is with having 265’s!
    B4456B5A-D69E-4D14-B560-7E1DA33369E3.jpeg

10 mm is about 0.4" inches, so a bit less than 1/4" added to each sidewall. Don't know where your alignment is set, but the other thing that will help to keep the tire in the front fender is some added negative camber. Not too much of course or you can start wearing out the insides of the tires, usually an extra 1/4 to 1/2 degree over the stock setting will improve front end grip without causing other issues.

Agreed on add a hair or three more camber. If you don't put huge miles on every season, good chance you'll be replacing again due to age vs worn out anyways.

I run that size up front on my Saleen reps. 275/35/18 BFGs to be exact. It rubs sway bar on drivers side at full lock in reverse, other then that no issues besides the fact they tramline like a whore, but any wide tire will. Doesn't stick out past fender at all, but that is also dependent on your wheel offset. If you want more pics I'm sure I can find some, my camber is set within stock specs FWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

That’s what I was thinking, adding a bit of negative camber, I should be ok. After you mentioned Ed about the 03,04 Cobra tire sizes, I searched for pics and specs, and they are bang on with diamensions other then being 17’s obviously. As I looked at pics of some of those lowered, there was a good few with negative camber, but not to out of the ordinary to the naked eye.
    And laffs, seeing that yours are bf’s says a lot... cause they usually run bigger. I guess I’m just gonna go for it. Gonna shoot for another 10 years lol!
    Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Shoot me a p.m. through the Parkway account if you would like me to quote you on a set. We can get Mickey Thompson, and lots of other brands.
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries