Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong head gaskets?

Wrong head gaskets?

I just realized bag the mls head gaskets I got are 4.180 bore. I believe stock gaskets are 4.100. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bore it out

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Bore it out
    My budget could barely afford the gaskets lol

Figured that. Not able to send them back for the right ones? I wouldn’t be using them.....and in case you’re not aware, when using mls gaskets the head and block surfaces must be square, so if you bought used aluminum heads, they need to be checked with a straightedge and cut if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Figured that. Not able to send them back for the right ones? I wouldn’t be using them.....and in case you’re not aware, when using mls gaskets the head and block surfaces must be square, so if you bought used aluminum heads, they need to be checked with a straightedge and cut if needed.
    Thanks for the heads up. I am using ported gt40 iron heads. I am trying to build the engine the best I can on a relatively small budget. I am going to try to exchange the gaskets but the company I purchased from doesn’t have the very good customer service I wouldn’t even call it customer service at all.

If it was me, would not be opting for MLS gaskets either. While newest version MLS gaskets are a ton more user friendly vs in the past, still seeing the odd problem when used on surfaces which have not been freshly machined (again, some get away with it just fine).

Another option, contact the gasket mfg's tech folks about using existing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Another option, contact the gasket mfg's tech folks about using existing ones.
    This was the reason I went with MLS gaskets, I must have misunderstood I thought you were recommending that I go with mls gaskets. I don’t mind switching directions. I am new to the world of forced induction and appreciate all of the advice I can get. I know that you really know what you’re doing. Where would you go from here?

On a lower boost / non freshly machined application, stock style gasket from Fel Pro. Affordable with predictable results. Add a set of aftermarket head bolts n your golden.
    By premium, meant some of the lesser kits come with cheapie old skool cork valve cover gaskets vs neoprene with steel reinforced like OEM. In the same cheaper kits, some also omit the premium neoprene / steel reinforced one piece pan gasket instead going with cork there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    On a lower boost / non freshly machined application, stock style gasket from Fel Pro. Affordable with predictable results. Add a set of aftermarket head bolts n your golden.
    Awesome, thanks Rick. I have Brand new ARP head bolts to use.