Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welders?

stangstevers

Welders?

Well as you know I have a lot of welding to do on the Cobra. I have a 220amp MIG with gas. But it's not the best I've ever used. Sure I'm not a pro at all but I got the privilege to try out an all digital Miller which cost more than my black notch and the difference was simply amazing. I'm wondering if there's something I can get that will allow me to work on sheet metal better. So basically being able to weld 18ga sheet metal up to 12ga structural stuff such as frame rails. I could get a smaller 110v welder for smaller jobs and keep my larger MIG for structural.

I also wanted to learn how to TIG and maybe build a turbo setup (my goal eventually). Not sure if those "all in one" deals are any good...

Any ideas? Keep in mind, I won't be able to spend 5 grand on a welder at this point.

Thanks

I've got a 220 mig set up for structural work and a 110 mig set up for smaller jobs like sheet metal and exhaust. It really is the best way to do it or you will be compromising. Another option is a single mig but changing liners and wire size, seemed like a great idea when I tried it but in reality most times I went to grab the mig it had the wrong set up in it, changing over got old quick.
    When purchasing a mig (s), staying with the big two names, you can seldom go wrong. Pay special attention if your buying an OEM or made for the big box store version though, considerable difference between them. Watching Kijiji or similar, amazing what pops up from time to time.

stangstevers
    yeah some good deals... I bought an old tomb stone Lincoln arc with two 75 foot 0 gauge cables... got everything for $150... At the time I was building plates and rock sliders for my Ranger. Oh it also came with boxes on boxes of rods of all sizes. Sold everything for profit once I got rid of the off-road Ranger.

The smaller, compact 220 migs from Miller / Lincoln are flat out amazing how well they perform as an all round machine. While something around .020 wire works well for exhaust n sheet metal and around .028 - .030 is the hot ticket for larger jobs, bet a quality machine with something in the middle would offer enough flexibility to do both. Just an idea if having two is out of the question.
    My set up, angled plate secures my smaller mig on top of the larger one then used a manual Y valve so they can utilize the same tank.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Pay special attention if your buying an OEM or made for the big box store version though, considerable difference between them.
    +1 on this advice.
    When I was researching my welder, the big difference was where the actual transformer was made. Big price difference between and American wound transformer versus an 'import'.

Very happy with my little SP-135T.
    -Don____________

rioredsvt
    condition and quality of filler rod and how their kept also has a affect on the finished product,but quality of equipment is most important

Quote Originally Posted by rioredsvt View Post
    condition and quality of filler rod and how their kept also has a affect on the finished product,but quality of equipment is most important
    He has a mig, not a stick, but the point holds true regardless

110 mig is, imo, best for sheet under 16 gauge....beyond that the bigger 220 machines can usually be turned down enough for 1/8" plate....up to 1/2" and generally multiple passes when you get that thick. If you have alot of welding of 3/8" or thicker, you wanna step up to 3 phase 575 which of course you wont be able to do at your house. Anything thicker than 1/4"/.250 is pretty rare on cars so youll be fine. Take your time and do lots of practise passes before welding your final product that way you dont cock up when youre welding in/on the car.

Stay away from the Canadian Tire Lincoln mig welders.....pay the extra money and get an american made unit that has a metal wire feed system....ive seen some of the cheap welders with plastic feeds and you WILL regret every minuet of owning it.

If you can spend up to 2k....go to Praxair and get a multi process unit with stick/tig and a plasma cutter....most stuff on cars can be done with stick and then you have the option of tig as well if you want to learn that.

i have been reading a lot about the machines and reading reviews i want to buy a good unit for home as well for my own work and so far the best all around options are the lincoln 210 or the miller 211 units both capable of mig and tig

Put ESAB on your shortlist.

If youre looking at used, Canox is Miller so check them out as well. Most of the multi process units that are cheap arent well known name brands but if you buy one from Praxair or a reputable dealer you should get some kind of decent warrantee/guarantee