Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

When we purchased our 2017 f150
    I requested the maximum towing available with the 5.0

Which should be the heavy tow package and the 3:73 gear ratio for a max rating of 10,800 lbs according to the ford web site.

I used this number as a reference for the size of travel trailer I purchased in the fall to give me enough tow capacity to also pull my boat.

Problem is I never double check the numbers of the truck.
    Now that I’m getting the hitch set and double checking. My truck (that I have owned for a year now) only has the 3.31 gear. Which means No heavy duty tow package and only a tow rating of 8900lbs.

Need to double check my boat weight but I think that’s gonna put me over the combined weight to tow both.
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 04-12-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Easy, call Bill, trade in the 5.0 for a 3.5 eco with tow package.
    Ive towed a trailer close to the max rating with an explorer it's not fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tow package and max tow package, confusion for at least a couple of other buys on the board lately as well. When truck will be used for heavy loads / max effort towning, important to know wts etc and confirm it's equipped with the package you'll need before purchase. In the same breath, how close to max are you going to end up at with both hooked up? Also worth keeping in mind, down a gear and taking it easy will add a whole bunch to whats going to work or not. I'm actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Easy, call Bill, trade in the 5.0 for a 3.5 eco with tow package.
    Ive towed a trailer close to the max rating with an explorer it's not fun.

If you mean towing a loaded car trailer behind Expl, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    My parents traded thier tent trailer for a 22' one, after one summer they got rid of it and went smaller again as it was really struggling.

Mustang Occasionally
    I did that. Yes it sucks, lol.

With both I’m looking at being over by almost 1000lbs.

Depending on the finnal weight of the boat

The way to understood it for the web site

It’s base tow with 5.0 is 8600 ish

With the tow package (3:73 gears)
    10800lbs

Max tow only available with the eco boost. Is 14000lbs.

I had asked for the 5.0 with the tow package.

My bad for not double checking. Just trying to figure out what my best move is
    Since the truck is one year into a 4 year lease and I already have the air bags and exhaust installed

The issues also lies within the fact there are a myriad of variables that affect max payload and max tow beyond simply powertrain options. Cab size, chassis length, number of drive wheels, wheel and tire etc etc. Even more confusing is that not every option group (FX4, etc) is not able to be ordered with every axle ratio (at least that's how it used to be not sure if it's completely a la cart) and even if that's the case most dealers aren't going to pay extra to stock trucks with the 3.73 when 90% of consumers don't want the added cost and/or care more about highway MPG.

Look at Fords fleet guide the max rating you will get out of a SuperCrew 5.0 truck is 10,800 which is only if you have a 4x2 157wb (6.3 bed) truck. The standard off the lot truck (Screw 4x4 5.5 bed) will only go as high as 10,500 and that's if you have 17" wheels optioned. Generally the heaviest towing trucks are not the most desirable option packages and if you wanted items like Sport trim you are automatically excluded from the highest echelon of towing due to the 20" wheel and tires.

As ZR said the best rule here is if you plan to tow at or near the maximum capacity of your truck, go to the next level of truck. Most people often ignore that these ratings don't factory in additional passengers, cargo, supplies, etc. Personally as soon as you start to hit that 10k weight on a regular basis you want to look at an HD truck. Don't get me started on people who want to bumper pull 15k + lbs with a passenger truck.

If you absolutely must have a 1/2 ton that tows that much weight, factory order is the only option with serious attention paid to these tow ratings. You may end up finding you having to sacrifice what type of truck and options you want to get the tow rating, which generally leads me back to the 3/4 and 1 tonne argument. In your case unless you original sales contract lists the 3.73 or max tow groups, I think you better start looking at lighter aluminum trailers unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Did you order it or buy it off the lot? when it's off the lot some salesmen (sorry: salespeople) will tell you "stories" to get you to buy.
    If you ordered it, the correct package should have been specified.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.
    150's today are as strong as 3/4's from 10 years ago. Adam's f_150 has a 7700 lb gvw, which is more than the 7600 lb F-250 I bought in 2007.
    My '17 F-250 has a 990 lb GVW which is the sale as my F-350 in 2005.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert