Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

When we purchased our 2017 f150
    I requested the maximum towing available with the 5.0

Which should be the heavy tow package and the 3:73 gear ratio for a max rating of 10,800 lbs according to the ford web site.

I used this number as a reference for the size of travel trailer I purchased in the fall to give me enough tow capacity to also pull my boat.

Problem is I never double check the numbers of the truck.
    Now that I’m getting the hitch set and double checking. My truck (that I have owned for a year now) only has the 3.31 gear. Which means No heavy duty tow package and only a tow rating of 8900lbs.

Need to double check my boat weight but I think that’s gonna put me over the combined weight to tow both.
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 04-12-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Easy, call Bill, trade in the 5.0 for a 3.5 eco with tow package.
    Ive towed a trailer close to the max rating with an explorer it's not fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Easy, call Bill, trade in the 5.0 for a 3.5 eco with tow package.
    Ive towed a trailer close to the max rating with an explorer it's not fun.

If you mean towing a loaded car trailer behind Expl, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    My parents traded thier tent trailer for a 22' one, after one summer they got rid of it and went smaller again as it was really struggling.

Mustang Occasionally
    I did that. Yes it sucks, lol.

Tow package and max tow package, confusion for at least a couple of other buys on the board lately as well. When truck will be used for heavy loads / max effort towning, important to know wts etc and confirm it's equipped with the package you'll need before purchase. In the same breath, how close to max are you going to end up at with both hooked up? Also worth keeping in mind, down a gear and taking it easy will add a whole bunch to whats going to work or not. I'm actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.

actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.
    150's today are as strong as 3/4's from 10 years ago. Adam's f_150 has a 7700 lb gvw, which is more than the 7600 lb F-250 I bought in 2007.
    My '17 F-250 has a 990 lb GVW which is the sale as my F-350 in 2005.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    150's today are as strong as 3/4's from 10 years ago. Adam's f_150 has a 7700 lb gvw, which is more than the 7600 lb F-250 I bought in 2007.
    My '17 F-250 has a 990 lb GVW which is the sale as my F-350 in 2005.
    Most manufactures offer to down rate the GVWR on the newer 3/4 and 1 tonnes because in Ontario going above a certain GVWR results in more expensive stickers and other headaches. It's not that those trucks haven't gotten better its that the Ministry is still very pig headed. With the 1/2 tonne stuff I think half of it is consumer demand and the other half materials and engineering. I wouldn't call it stronger per say as HD trucks are going to fair better in the long run when you work them hard vs. a 1/2 tonne, but 1/2 tonnes are certainly more capable than the once were.

As per salespeople I agree to an extend. Absolutely some will try to sell you anything to get it off the lot, but also imagine trying to know every detail of all these different tow rating variables, as well as having to know the fuel economy of the focus vs. fiesta, the truck space of an edge vs. and explorer, which trim levels of fusion have bluetooth, and a million other trim variables and specs. Downright impossible and many consumers will want answers on the spot not "let me check the brochure".
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Tow package and max tow package, confusion for at least a couple of other buys on the board lately as well. When truck will be used for heavy loads / max effort towning, important to know wts etc and confirm it's equipped with the package you'll need before purchase. In the same breath, how close to max are you going to end up at with both hooked up? Also worth keeping in mind, down a gear and taking it easy will add a whole bunch to whats going to work or not. I'm actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.
    Dunno about your truck rick but mine can tow up to 10,500. I did switch to Yokohama geolanders 10 ply. All sway gone and you can pump them up to 80 psi for heavy loads.

With both I’m looking at being over by almost 1000lbs.

Depending on the finnal weight of the boat

The way to understood it for the web site

It’s base tow with 5.0 is 8600 ish

With the tow package (3:73 gears)
    10800lbs

Max tow only available with the eco boost. Is 14000lbs.

I had asked for the 5.0 with the tow package.

My bad for not double checking. Just trying to figure out what my best move is
    Since the truck is one year into a 4 year lease and I already have the air bags and exhaust installed