Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksrt8 View Post
    Or wait for the diesel f150. Dodges v6 diesel is a beast. Awesome on fuel, mountains of torque...GM has one in the works so im sure Ford will have one shortly if not already. I hate to break it to yall lol but diesel is likely coming to north america in a big way much the same as in the uk and europe. I for one welcome it....its about bloody time. The small diesels are surpassing similar gas engines in terms of effeciency and power and i honestly cant see a reason NOT to buy one....ok i can, the repair cost. But the little Mercedes diesels and VW diesels have been known to rack up half a million miles with nothing more than oil changes for maintenence.

Just food for thought
    one is coming but have not heard the tow rating yet.

I don't have issues with diesel other than cost the problem is our diesel quality is garbage compared to Europe that's why we don't have as many here and the ones we do tend to have a lot of emissions issues brought on by the crappy fuel quality

grew up on a farm pulling trailers since I could drive a tractor.

regularly haul a trailer for work. can make the work trailer dance.

hauled double last year with no issues and even had about 30 people watch in disbelief when I backed up both the trailer and boat into position and put the boat at the back right where I said I would

but I do agree there should be stricter regulations on trailers in terms of training.

that's why I dislike these back up systems like the ford has. Something I will never use. The sales man offered to show me how to use It. I told him "if you cant back up a trailer, then you should not be pulling a trailer"
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 04-15-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksrt8 View Post
    Or wait for the diesel f150. Dodges v6 diesel is a beast. Awesome on fuel, mountains of torque...GM has one in the works so im sure Ford will have one shortly if not already. I hate to break it to yall lol but diesel is likely coming to north america in a big way much the same as in the uk and europe. I for one welcome it....its about bloody time. The small diesels are surpassing similar gas engines in terms of effeciency and power and i honestly cant see a reason NOT to buy one....ok i can, the repair cost. But the little Mercedes diesels and VW diesels have been known to rack up half a million miles with nothing more than oil changes for maintenence.

Just food for thought
    The Diesel F150 is not available with max tow. The payload rating is also much less because they are heavier. Also not available in anything less than a lariat (except fleet) and costs about $7000 more.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    the weight pulling behind

travel trailer is 6600. boat is around 1500, boat trailer is somewhere around 1500, plus water, propane tanks, generator, fuel, and all the camping and fishing supplies.

load in the truck dosnt directly effect the weight behind but its related to how much you can pull. more in the truck adds to your combined weight which effects how much you put behind it.

most trucks cant be loaded to max payload and have the max towable hitched behind them as well.

lots of calculaters on line that you can put in all your weights and they will tell you where your over, or how much payload/ tow capacity you have left

priced a superduty and they get crazy quick in terms of price. more money for less options

the 3.5 with max tow is cheaper and better optioned and will two more than I ever plan on throwing at it
    OK. wow. 9600 behind the truck that's rated for 8600 would be a problem yes.

I think in this scenario you just described, you have a bigger issue, with a 5500 lbs truck (give or take what's loaded up in it) you are at 15,100 which is way past the personal use 13,227 so at those weights you would also need a log book and to hit the scales every time.

If you bought a superduty, there are two versions, you can get the lower weight version or the higher one which means you need a yellow sticker regardless of towing anything.

Even if you bought a 3.5 Eco with Max tow, you still have other issues being totally over 13,227 lbs.

Also, if the truck is registered to your business, that also complicates things in terms of personal use, camping, boating, horses, or race cars.

I also refuse to use the back-up system Ford has, seems like a waste of time given how much is involved to set it up, faster to just use your mirrors.

The only suggestion I have is that if you are stuck in your Coyote truck that only pulls 8900 and you're pulling 9600, time for a weight distribution hitch and keep an eye on your trans temp on the screen, but I'm sure the truck could take it a couple summers if you keep fluids clean including trans fluid and coolers. JMO. Maybe do a tune as well for the truck to get a few more hp.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    I have an '18 Crew 6.5' box with sport package, max tow and 20" wheels (which are required for maximum tow rating of 13,200) and it's good to tow 13,200 lbs. Bill has a nice new '18 magma crew sport spec'd with max tow and is good for 13,200 lbs trailer. Max tow requires eco boost and 3.55 gears unless you get max paylaod then you get 18" wheels and no sport r even high level 302A or 502A pkg. If you want 5.0 then no max tow. You can still tow 11,000lbs with a 5.0 in 2018. Max tow Eco boost with 20" wheels has rear gawr of 4050lbs and if you get 18" wheels and no max payload you only get rear gawr of 3800lbs. I have studied the crap out of this. All my numbers are for '18 f150's

I guess that doesn't really help you out. Someone at your dealer was a bit shady. Sucks. Im sure t will tow just fine anyhow. I towed my 38' camper that weighs just over 10,000 lbs with my 09 f150 that was rated for 9600 and payload of only 1333 lbs with no trouble. Are you using Weight dist hitch?
    I was waiting for you to respond...LOL

got it sent to lease busters. will see what happens

so Bill I'm thinking

2018 Supercrew 4x4, Lariat, in lightning blue with the sport appearance, 502A.
    want the max tow, power running boards, spray in bed liner, 20 inch painted wheels and the tailgate step

got anything that fits?

so Bill I'm thinking

want the max tow, power running boards, spray in bed liner, 20 inch painted wheels and the tailgate step

got anything that fits?
    I would get longer box for the type of towing you are doing too.

so Bill I'm thinking

got anything that fits?
    Like this?
    http://heritageford.ca/view/used-201...-f-150-178415/

Says 5.0. So no max tow package.
    Was hoping for just the sport appearance package as oppose to the special addition.

Bill, he wants this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me! Help me Oprah Winfrey!” — Ricky Bobby