Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    What’s the mileage like with the 3:73’s?

I think we decided. Not to trade it into ford would take too much of a hit.

We are gonna throw it at lease busters and if someone snatches it we will upgrade if not we will run it as is.
    Dealer said it was no concern for warranty.

My only concern would be the mto.
    Not as good as with the 3:31 for sure, but I think the motor still needs a break in period for improved mileage. Currently around 17 to 18 mpg.

But the truck is really peppy and fun to drive particularly in sport mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Please pardon my lack of knowledge regarding this topic as I have never towed anything bigger than a sled trailer, but I was wondering about tow packages. All the talk so far seems to revolve around engine size and gearing, but what about brakes, transmission, and cooling (engine and trans.). Do these things get upgraded when one orders a tow package? Just curious.

Stephen the general answer to that is yes.

There are extra coolers in and under the truck, brakes are pretty solid.

While on my trip to Texas I hit the brakes hard (no trailer brake controller at the time) and all wheel s locked properly, but the weight of the trailer pushed her with brakes locked in damp weather. Once we got the controller installed it was a dream to drive with no fears.

Yes tow raitings are limited by the weakest link.
    Manufactures factor in everything. From frame to suspension, breaks transmission, axles and engine output.

And it’s all moot without the proper receiver and just as important ball.
    Seen plenty of people with a capable truck and big load and they cheap out on the ball and are towing 6000lbs on a ball raited for 2000lbs.

If there is ever an issue and you cause an accident insurance will ruin your life if your over weight limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    Stephen the general answer to that is yes.

There are extra coolers in and under the truck, brakes are pretty solid.

While on my trip to Texas I hit the brakes hard (no trailer brake controller at the time) and all wheel s locked properly, but the weight of the trailer pushed her with brakes locked in damp weather. Once we got the controller installed it was a dream to drive with no fears.
    Yes and a Common misconception is that things like air bags, trailer breaks and distribution hitches allow you to two bigger loads. These things make it easer and safer to tow but do not increase your trucks limits.

Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

From an MTO inspector at the scale, a camping trailer is exempt from the annual inspection as is the truck that tows it. I do not believe anything else falls into that category with the exception of a small single axle boat or utility trailer. Anything with more than one axle with the exception being camping trailers needs an annual sticker and is subject to inspection as is the truck towing it.

Your G class license is good for any combination weighing 11000kgs or less. A D class is good for anything over 11000kgs with a trailer weighing less than 4600kgs. Anything more and you require an A. Any vehicle having air brakes requires a Z endorsement regardless of weight or use.

As for weight limits, you will probably never have an issue in Ontario unless you are involved in an at fault accident. An investigation may find that the fact that you were overweight may have contributed to said accident. In the USA, you may encounter an issue, I have read on other forums of such. That being said, having towed my trailer in quite a few eastern states, I have never been checked nor have I ever spoken to anyone who has or have I seen anyone at a scale or inspection station.

Also are you talking about towing your travel trailer and boat at the same time? I know there are definitely limits on that in the USA especially when using a bumper pull trailer in combination with a second bumper pull. Also in Ontario there are length limits, but I don’t know of anyone being stopped for such.

If you have any weight or use questions I can ask a guy I know who is an MTO inspector.

Also I have a 3.5 boost, max tow 4x4 (second one) and it pulls my 8000lb travel trailer with ease. I pass people pulling up hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me! Help me Oprah Winfrey!” — Ricky Bobby

yes will be towing both the boat and trailer at the same time. the whole reason we were so picky with the trailer we got as biased on weight and length too keep us under the total length allowed in Ontario and under what I thought was the weight of the truck

stopped by the storage place yesterday and my boat wont be accessible for at least another two weeks so I can get an accurate weight of it and the trailer

biased on Glastron's numbers and estimating my boat trailer at a conservative 1000-1500lbs I'm over by between 1500 and 2000lbs that's not an insignificant number lol

03svt
    Just trade it in Mkviii, but before you do I’ll take the exhaust

don't have the mark Viii any more but I still do have the exhaust if your interested. as well as the suspension and brand new stearing rack

03svt
    I’ll get that stuff out of your way if your giving me the exhaust for the f150