Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like haulingg cheaper beer from Quebec is illegal!

Looks like haulingg cheaper beer from Quebec is illegal!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scoc...nces-1.4625861
    If we can' t get Interprovincial beer transporting right, how can we get a pipeline built?
    I love my beer, but probably wouldn' t haul enough across the border to draw attention( except for that time in the 80's when Brewers was on strike, and we stomached Amstel beer from Hamilton)

Is there a threshold for "personal use"?

To me, this seems ridiculous.
    Gotta wonder how it came to pass Police knew to stop him or was it a traffic stop related to speeding etc?

Speaking in London, England, where he is attending the Commonwealth leaders meeting, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he plans to continue working to improve interprovincial trade in Canada.

Come on now, is he really that stupid? Has nothing to do with trade, a retired dude loves to drink beer n drives to the next province where he can buy it cheaper, why is anyone except him and his wallet involved?

I like how they are using pre Prohibition Supreme court rulings

A 1921 Supreme Court decision interpreted that to mean the products only had to be free from tariffs, not from other barriers such as limits on quantity.

This is a quick google search, so not sure of accuracy:

Ah, prohibition. Although the Canadian Constitution Act of 1867 guaranteed free trade between the provinces, that memo seems not to have reached the provinces themselves, as restrictions are placed on how much alcohol you can import from one to another.

In fact these restrictions date back to a federal law passed in 1928, the Intoxicating Liquors Act, which expressly forbade the import of alcohol from one province to another. The law states “no person shall import, send, take or transport, or cause to be imported, sent, taken or transported, into any province from or out of any place within or outside Canada any intoxicating liquor.”

This law was created due to prohibition-era crackdowns on alcohol consumption. These restrictions were lifted subsequently, but today a person can only import alcohol into their home province, from another province or territory, in the quantities outlined by their provinces liquor board which regulates the flow of alcohol. Should you be found to exceed the limit, you will be charged and fined under the liquor act of the province you live in.

It is important to know what amount a person is allowed to bring back to their province for consumption. Be aware that each province’s requirement is not just restricted to allowed amounts. Further restrictions imposed are;

You have to be of legal age or older in your home province;
    The alcohol has to be for private consumption and not resale.

Here are the allowed amounts of alcohol broken down by province or territory:

Ontario

Up to three litres of spirits;
    Up to nine litres of wine; and
    24.6 litres of beer.

Alberta

No limits imposed.

Manitoba

No limits imposed.

Talk about living under a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    [FONT="]Speaking in London, England, where he is attending the Commonwealth leaders meeting, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he plans to continue working to improve interprovincial trade in Canada.

[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Come on now, is he really that stupid? Has nothing to do with trade, a retired dude loves to drink beer n drives to the next province where he can buy it cheaper, why is anyone except him and his wallet involved? [/FONT]
    I am not a smoker, but the Cancer Society was worried this would open the dikes to cheaper smokes being transported, think the ship on cheap smokes has sailed with the "Purses?"

But Rob Cunningham, senior policy analyst and lawyer with the Canadian Cancer Society, called it a "very positive" ruling. He watched the case closely because the society was worried about what it might mean for provincial controls on tobacco and cannabis.

"Had this judgment gone the other way, it would have opened the gates, the floodgates to widespread interprovincial smuggling of cigarettes, and we already have enough of a problem there, of alcohol, of cannabis," Cunningham said. "So, from a public health point of view, this judgment is very positive."

stangstevers
    You know what... fuck the beer monopoly here. My SUV goes “cling cling cling” all the way from Montreal.

Although I want to get into making my own beer once the stupid house is done... brew beer and work on Mustangs.

I don't know all the legal reasons for it, but I was sure the supreme court would take this opportunity to improve our country. Sad day.

Mustang Occasionally