Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: model\year differences

model\year differences

I am interested in know what the differences are in Fox bodies over the years. I know a broad question. But I mean between the pre 87 or 4 eye models Vs the 87 to 93 models I know about HP FI etc differences but what about suspension and modability. I read somewhere that pre 87 models should have the spindles upgraded to 87 and later in order to properly be lowered and have better springs and shocks added. True?? Some here are proponents of pre 87 and others not Why?? I think I like the interior better on pre 87 but that is a personal preference I guess. Comments?

Since pretty much everything interchanges between the years, no downside to buying what tickles your fancy and making it your own.

87-93 spindle upgrade is to net you 11" discs and beefier calipers (which are still marginal) vs. the tiny 10" discs that came on the 4-eyed cars. 87-93 cars used a different front crossmember with more width between the control arm mounting points, and then the 11" rotor hats are slightly shallower so the track width only increased slightly. When you put the 87-93 spindles on a 4-eyed car, you lose a small amount of front track width.

85-93 OEM springs other than 93 Cobra were the same rate, that changed when they went to the 15" Gatorbacks vs. the old TRX suspension. Strut valving changed a bit over the years, but that's a moot point because you're not going to be getting a 5.0L car that has OEM struts and shocks that are still useable.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries