Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Catch Can for EcoBoost

sentone

Catch Can for EcoBoost

Hello fellow mustang owners

soooo ive been watching a TON of videos about our beloved Mustang EcoBoost, mostly about problems and specific maintenance that this turbocharged direct injection engine needs. And almost all of the videos warned me about buying a high quality catch can to avoid carbon accumulation on the valves.

What I`m looking for in this amazing community is the word of experience of EcoBoost owners who bought and installed (or paid to be installed) the Catch Cans. Where you bought and where you took you car to be serviced. Also, your general opinion about this...

I have my mustang for 4 months now, I bought it used with 36.000Km (2016 model) and I am planning to keep it for a looooooong time so knowing all the important things right now will matter in the future.

thanks

Just curious as to why the "warning" about installing a catch can, or am I misreading that?

Catch can = must have for your car.
    Be interesting to see if upping the ante on oil grade cuts down accumulation just like the V8s.

sentone
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Just curious as to why the "warning" about installing a catch can, or am I misreading that?
    Well they actually that word, according to those owners and mechanics in the videos carbon accumulation on the valves is a common problem with DI engines and a turbocharger speed the process so the sooner the better. And since I got my stang used I would like to know the community opinion as to install it or not, and where is the best place to do so....

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

sentone
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Catch can = must have for your car.
    Be interesting to see if upping the ante on oil grade cuts down accumulation just like the V8s.
    Well that's one of the solution but with the EcoBoost they said that a catch can is extremely necessary for the longevity of the engine and less headaches in the future.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Yes and best installed sooner vs later.

Roushcharged
    I'd be more likely to up the oil weight then spending big bucks on a catch can. I know in my 2005 and 2011 Mustang's the smoking was virtually eliminated by switching to 10w30 weight oil. The 2011 had a JLT catch can and in between oil changes I was collecting at most a tablespoon of oil which I think is neglectable and probably didn't warrant a catch can. I now have a 2017 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost and have read tons of online posts for and against the catch can. I know with the F-150 you have to be cautious of CEL when installing a catch can. The UPR available for the 17-18 F-150 cost $399 USD and requires drilling a hole in the intake pipe, not sure how that plays out with warranty but I'm willing to gamble that it would. I'm not 100% sure with the Mustang but I'd first look into an upgraded oil seperator from Ford. From what I've read Ford released a service bulletin a while back outlining the replacement of the stock PVC/oil separator with an upgraded/improved model. This was done in an effort to address the smoking issues some owners experienced when letting their car idle for more than 2 or 3 minutes. I know the F-150 isn't exactly the same as the Mustang but I'm sure the concerns are very similar, I'm not sold on the catch can yet.....