Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Rear axle off?

DinoZ

Rear axle off?

2007 gt convertible. Last year I had installed lowered springs, adjustable Panhard etc..

Drives well but a friend noticed that driver side rear wheel sticks out past fender slightly while passenger side wheel is slightly tucked in, I would say 1/2” on either side.

I never noticed, is this an issue other than it should be rectified ?

Adjustable bar gives you the ability to correct (assuming of course it's diff off center vs issue with 1/4 panels). While it may have been done when springs installed, even small settling can see it go off kilter. Part of why I always suggest driving for at least a few days after springs installed before hitting align shop.

DinoZ
    Thanks ZR, ok so is this something I can adjust via the Panhards adjustability or is this something I should bring to the alignment shop?

If you can reach it, no reason not to measure / adjust yourself. Most accurate is off the chassis but for bulk of folks, centered in fender wheels is what they are after. Plum bob and a tape measure off the 1/4 panel and your good to go.
    Pay special attention to getting the jam nuts tight, recheck in 100kms (odd time them come loose).

DinoZ
    Thank you ZR, much appreciated

Adjusting the panhard bar should always be done with the suspension loaded at ride height. So if you have ramps, drive up on them, if you have a jack and stands, place them under the axle tubes as close to the tires as possible. Usually I just eyeball the adjustments, or go by fingers instead of a tape, but either way works. As stated, the jam nuts need to be quite tight, and its A good idea to draw a line from the nut to the turnbuckle in a bright colour so you can just take a knee and see if they’ve moved as opposed to checking with a wrench.

DinoZ
    Good point about the line marker, I typically do this on my bikes so continue the good practice. Thanks Pony