Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thunderbird transmission

thunderbird transmission

been doing some reading but hasn't seemed to make the decision for me. seems to be a lot of opinions on either side, so figured I would get some local opinion

1964 Thunderbird, stock 390 (might throw a cam and intake at it, not sure about heads yet)

do I rebuild the stock Cruse-o-matic or find a c6 doner

or something newer.

car is not a resto just something to fix and then enjoy, would love to get cruzing with the kids.

will getting into something with over drive make a noticeable difference on fuelÉ

crazy question

I still have the fully rebuilt 4Rw???? out of my 94 Mark 8 just sitting in the garage collecting dust.
    iirc thats an electronic controld trans right?
    so not worth the attemt?

adaptorr plate may be lots cheaper than rebuilt or new

anyone know the going rate for a transmission rebuild anymore?

I did find a stand alone controller to run the 4R70W trans in a non computer controlled car and I found an adaptor kit to bolt it to the 390

looking like $1500 American give or take.

is the over drive worth it?

Any idea what gear it has in the rear?

Difference in how it runs and performs with just an aftermarket intake and carb is dramatic (make it a bolt on EFI kit and it's that much again). Add to that a set of heads and a torque oriented cam and it's night and day again.

Probably 300 like mine !

FI Tech and Holley are not ridiculous money any more. Stay tuned for real world results as we are installing both one of their kits plus a Holley this summer.

If gear same or similar to Glen's, it won't even want to be in o'drive so no not money well spent. Go with a C6 n be happy.

Really want to make yours drive sweet as hell, pm Glen and ask about the difference in his after a steering box etc mods we did.

Keep in mind too if you have to alter the shifter linkage for anything other than a C6, you may loose your swingaway column feature.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

not sure, what gear, what ever was stock lol ill have to run the vin and see
    im not against the C-O-M just gonna be a cruzer so it will probpbly be fine
    just dont know if its worth just leaving it in to see if it works or pulling it out and sending it in

so much on this car has been just cobblet as cheap as possable ti make is sold, i pulled teh motor out expecting old and worn out it it was freshly rebuilt. perfect hone, clean as a whistle, i was shocked

but not sure if the trans was done im leaning towards no becasue the tourque converter has beeen painted but by the looks of the over spray they painted it in place which would lead me to beleive they never pulled the trans out