Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S197 suspension/ steering recommendations

DinoZ

S197 suspension/ steering recommendations

2007 gt vert.
    Ultimate goal is to have a “heavy” precise steering feel for the road, not track.

Car has 70k.

Replaced to date
    Lowered Eibach pro springs,Panhard,bmr lowers cont. arms,camber bolts.
    18x9 fronts-18x10 rears with Mickey T Street comes 255/45/18-275/40/18
    Hotchkis adj.sway bar kit front and rear, with adj. helm joint end links.

So am I on track by upgrading to
    Struts/shocks/camber plates (koni streets-gt/500 plates)
    Bumpsteer kit
    Gt 500 lower control arms.

Is there anything to be done to the steering column, ie: coupler ?

I’m smiling now, just want a bigger grin

Many thanks

I think you'll come away disappointed with the Koni STR series shocks n struts, GT500 lower arms are a great upgrade. Set of CC plates from MM are another great addition, doubt your low enough to see significant gains from a bump steer kit.

DinoZ
    Thanks ZR, so Koni adjustables,MM plates and lower arms will do the trick

Ps will really have to meet you one day soon, you have a wealth of knowledge.

Wish Koni made Dbl adjustables for your car as they can also be a hit or miss. If it was mine, Bilsteins.

I can't find them on the website any more but Vorshlag motorsport made a combo a custom bilstien shocks, springs and thier caster camber plates. I'd try calling to see if they still do that as it was a tuned set from a company that's broke just about every track record with a s197

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was quite happy with Tokico D Specs on my 06GT with Eilbach pro kit. Also had unknown camber plates but the car felt SO MUCH better with this set up from stock.

My 07 GT had the MM-revalved Bilsteins with FRPP springs, MM caster plates, and originally a Steeda adjustable panhard bar but later a Whiteline Watts link, along with GT-500 rear lower control arms and Griggs relocation brackets. Worked very well for street and track. The steering is never going to feel fantastic in a hydraulic rack 05-10 car, but with the right suspension bits the whole car will be tighter and more responsive.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

DinoZ
    I actually found a small victory on this.

Followed the steering shaft from steering input to to rack, tightened all bolts, they seems a little loose. Has made a nice difference.

Next step is to see what I can do about the rubber coupler on the upper shaft as it is obviously designed to flex with rotation.

Cannot seem to locate a solid steering shaft for this generation s197.

Or replace the upper shaft with a shaft that has a u-joint to fit, I beleive that would do it at minimum cost. (Flaming River, Borghenson, ?) or local?

What’s interesting is that I can now appreciate the recent suspension mods, adjustable struts, coils , cc adj. plates, sway bar replacement. Confidence inspiring handling.

Flaming river makes a steering shaft for s197s I know others were switching to it for increased header clearance

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If Flaming River stills use a series of set screws on that version (as they've done in the past), can not use words strong enough to persuade you not to use one.