Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  128
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Hobby

Car Hobby

Just curious as to what got you into the car hobby? Also, how long have you owned your " Hobby " car? I got bitten by the car bug when I went to see Smokey and the Bandit in 1977 ( I believe it was with Stephen ). The movie theater had a 1977 Bandit Edition Trans Am in the lobby and from that point on I was a car nut. Have never found the " Right " car yet and this is why I've owned over a hundred cars since I turned 16, 39 of which were Mustangs. Any advice on how to stay in love with your car? I'm getting really tired of swapping out cars...........
    "If your wife is having a good time and you're not,
    You're still having a better time than if you were having a good time, and she wasn't."

Came home from the hospital with my parents in my dads 86 LX notch. He swapped that for a 87 LX notch till I was 3 and then an 86 GT convertible when I was 7. Same time my other uncles had an 88 T-Top GT and an 87 GT that he had modified by Derrick of Dech. Both of my grand fathers were life long Ford employees now retired from FoMoCo. One worked as a safety rep at the Essex engine plant where the Mustang motors were built and raced a 67 Cyclone GT, the other was an Engineer who helped with cylinder head designs on the 302, 351w and modular motors. There was precisely 0 chance of not becoming a car guy but my path Mustangs was as direct as it would seem. Got in to trucks first as a youth reading 4x4 offroad and the like, then sport compacts in high school. Had a Honda first that I lightly modded then built a j-body show car that won some awards and was a calendar car for a couple performance companies.

One day I wound up seeing a picture of Darkhorse's SN95 GT online and suddenly snapped back in to the RWD domestic mode. Was hanging around with some guys who were GM centric at the time so would up with an LT1 Firebird that ended up being biggest pain in the ass you ever did see. Got out of that and looked for a New Edge ended up with my 2000 GT that I've had for 10 years.

I'd also love to know the secret to staying in love with your car, I have a pretty sizable love/hate thing going on with the car right now. Problem is most of it is self inflicted from trying to build a race car out of a convertible with questionable guidance and input when I should have been building a fun cruiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Similar to Laffs, my grandfather is the reason for the hobby. He was a Ford mechanic and I spent much of my youth with him, and even a few days has is "helper" at the dealership.. So I got my mechanical skills though him. One day, my dad brought me over to the dealership where they had a 1967 Cougar needing repairs and bodywork, I remember it was the service manager's son's car (That was back in 1975 so it was only 6 year old). That ended up being my first vehicle where my grandpa helped me fix it and I could even find parts in the salvage yards.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Mustang Occasionally
    I don't know. I've always been fascinated with cars for as long as I can remember. I remember being a kid and watching my dad press down on the big chrome lined accelerator pedal of a Caddy and making the big boat move. It was something about that interaction that has always stuck in my head. He had a lot of cool cars. The last time I visited him he had two Eldorados, a 82' Special Edition Vette and a black 1980 Trans Am with the screaming bird on the hood and t-tops. I think that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I've had lots of cars and trucks. I think the overall most pleasurable for me has been my current S550 convertible, auto tho. It has many personalities to match whatever kinda mood I'm in, whether that be just cruising, top up or down, or something a bit more spirited. Or balls to the wall all out at the track. It's really a fun, great looking, great sounding and very reliable toy.

My first love for cars was when I was an infant and my parents took me to watch James Bond Goldfinger and I was facinated with cars with gadgets. My first love with Mustangs was in 1970 when I got to ride in a 1968 Mustang GT. That was it. I was hooked. Nowadays, I too have lost count on the number of cars that I have swapped out. I feel so tired. I want to stay in love with my cars but my issue is that I love tech and gadgets and most of all...horsepower. My current car does great as a daily driver but I want a summer toy again but don't have the space. I suck... :P

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    My dad got me into it - from hot wheels cars ( he usually always brought one home from work for me- we have hundreds and my son now has them.)
    He had a lot of vehicles - but some that made me say " some day I'll buy one " were 76 firebird formula, 86 four eyes with ( removable darkplexi glass headlight covers , and his 88 hatch.

maybe he's old now but he won't take my 14 for a spin. As far as staying in Love with the hobby or car not sure- for me still love the hobby or car but with family of two growing kids just don't have as much time or money to put into it- but I guess it will return ( when I retire)

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

I've always been, as an old girlfriend called me, a "car jock". Don't know how or why but I just am. What keeps me going now, the community (read TMC), the track days, and my daughter who is a chip off the old car jock block herself.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    I've always been, as an old girlfriend called me, a "car jock". Don't know how or why but I just am. What keeps me going now, the community (read TMC), the track days, and my daughter who is a chip off the old car jock block herself.
    that your daughter is into it- both mine want SUV's

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Always was interested, had dinky cars and read hot rod and car craft when I was a kid, they had them at the library, spent a lot of time there reading about cars. My family also always wanted a mechanic in the family, so that was natural for me, although that ultimately leads to a “car guy” hating working on cars, lol.
    I always liked f-bodies, but one day I saw a fox sitting in a yard in the county and bought it, it was a pile so I promptly sold it. Then I saw a fox sitting in a lot missing it’s rolling stock, asked around and found the owner, they had some spare wheels and tires and I bought the car, loved it and had a ton since then.
    Nowadays I don’t care too much about cars, I’m still into them but I honestly get more enjoyment from driving my Wrangler with the top off and the family aboard.

Never really thought about it, but like many others I think I have to blame a combination of Hotwheels (and Legos) and my father. My father is into old cars, and as a farmer he kinda instilled in me that you can/have to fix anything.

Getting into Mustangs was a combination of my first car (a 1979 T-Bird with a 302) and my second car (a 1983 Celica). I thought wouldn’t it be great to have a small (smaller than the T-Bird) RWD, standard, V8 powered car? That’s when I got my first Mustang, a 1990 LX notch. Then this spotless, unmolested, unabused 1994 GT came along. And I’ve had it ever since. It’s not done yet, LOL.

BTW.....1990 notch is up for sale. I’m going to visit it tomorrow and will put an ad up soon.
    -Don____________