Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alerts on your phone, possible to shut off?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Interesting to see if that works because I read up on this yesterday.
    From what I understand, the way that Alert Ready operates (in the States anyway) is there are 3 levels of alerts: amber alerts, extreme threats and severe threats, presidential alerts. You can modify or disable the first two, but you can't disable "presidential alerts". Here in Canada, the wonderful CRTC set the level for ALL alerts as "presidential", so you can't disable it.

https://www.alertready.ca/
    As you mentioned I've noticed those options on my friend's Galaxy S7. With my phone I'm able to turn off the emergency alert broadcasts, alarm sound and vibrate. Guess we'll see when the next Amber alert happens. What I've been reading a lot of people are pissed as to how the alert was handled yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    a lot of people are pissed as to how the alert was handled yesterday.
    It was a total fail. We were promised that the alert system would be regional (i.e. broadcast to only the people in the region affected by the emergency). We were promised that it would only be used for real emergencies (sorry if I sound insensitive, but this was NOT an emergency). And why the hell were there three emergency alerts? An alert to tell you the alert is no longer an alert? A second french alert? Each with the same panic alert level as an imminent nuclear attack!? FAIL
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    I have two phones, one work and one personal, neither got these amber updates yesterday, but my other family phones did.

Just noticed on the personal android, I had the broadcast messages set to off.
    My work iphone on telus got the amber alert (as well as dozens of weather network copies of the amber alert) while my personal android phone on kodoo (so telus) only got the weather network version.

I think the overall idea of forced alerts for certain things is very useful - for example tornado warning for a certain area, amber alerts for a certain area etc. However getting an amber alert for Thunder Bay while I'm in Burlington isn't the most useful. Hopefully they get the system sorted out quickly and make the notifications more localized.

Club Supporter
    I have to check the settings on my phones - the Blackberry (Rogers) had display plus alarm but the iPhone (Fido - so Rogers) was display only/no sound.

I received it 4x yesterday (Rogers iPhone 8).
    I have no problem with amber alerts but it overrides the audio you're listening too and the warning tone is 50DB louder than what your listening to.
    That's a problem.
    In the USA you can turn them off in notifications. but not in the bubble country Canada.
    By the 2nd one I was over it and ignored the other 2.
    That's the problem this system is going to cause.
    I also believe it should be location based.
    Not sure how when I'm in Sarnia what chance I will have of finding a kid missing in Thunder Bay.

No alerts on my Blackberry

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue