Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRRRRR new car makers

GRRRRR new car makers

why do they always have to change things that used to be super easy and make them so damn difficult

heading out camping tomorrow trying to finish up the air lift install on the new truck.

keep in mind I just pulled this same kit off the 2017 f150

I need a keyed 12v source. simple right do what I have always done, the exact same thing I did on the truck that was only a year older. pop the lid for the fuse panel, find an unpopulated slot that has a 12v ignition feed, stick the connector in and good to go. been doing this for years on all makes and models.

BUT NO, apparently for 2018 if it dosnt have a fuse in it they don't even bother to put the tabs In so if its not a factory option you cant plug into it.
    go into the cab fuse box, all of the ones listed as spares are constant feed.

okay ill get a fuse tap. NOPE, only available in regular fuse and mini fuse. new truck uses damn MICRO fuses.

spent an hour dicking around with something that used to take literally 30 seconds with a test light or meter to do, and still no 12v switch source. which means my only option is to tap into a wire which is a giant PITA to find and really don't like doing on any car let alone a brand new lease.

Buy a cheap 12v toggle switch from crappy tire and run a fused line right to battery as a temp fix to go camping. Just don't forget to switch it off when no using. When you get back get on amazon and pick up one of the million microfuse taps they have then complete the install as such.

No cutting or splicing of the factory harness, you get to go have a good weekend, costs you like $20 for a fuse connector, some crimp connections and cheap switch.

It's a brand new gorgeous truck you have to order a $20 part for to hook up your RV. There are far worse problems in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

its a truck, trucks are ment to work, that includes towing and plows, auxiliary lighting ect. and the manufacture removes the ease of adding things.

I see it everyday at work, remove this remove that. all in the name of saving 3 cents on a thousand units built.

not one second is spent anymore in consideration of fixing, altering, or improving anything,

engineers doing care about the guys working on stuff,

its frustrating when something so easy becomes difficult. and points to the way big business is anymore. all that matters is the bottom dollar.

Huh, never seen that before, sign of the times I guess, lol. If it was me I’d just find a ign switched fuse you don’t need (rear defrost, fog lights, etc..), pull the fuse and tap into that for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    its a truck, trucks are ment to work, that includes towing and plows, auxiliary lighting ect. and the manufacture removes the ease of adding things.

I see it everyday at work, remove this remove that. all in the name of saving 3 cents on a thousand units built.

not one second is spent anymore in consideration of fixing, altering, or improving anything,

engineers doing care about the guys working on stuff,

its frustrating when something so easy becomes difficult. and points to the way big business is anymore. all that matters is the bottom dollar.
    It's a fully jammed luxury vehicle, I'm sure a work trim truck would have empty fuses to tie in to or have the option to get upfitter switchs. As much as they're "removing" look at what we gained. My last truck was full jam for it's year, it had leather, heated front seats, and a shit nav/stereo that wouldnt pass muster on a base kia today. My new one is 8 years newer and has glorious heated and cooled seats, gods gift to man the heated steering wheel, an amazing nav/stereo that rivals my dads german stuff with epic voice control, rides like a dream, gets better economy, has all sorts of real time monitoring and is probably smarter than I am. I gave up the straight forward leaf suspension, and a lot of simplicity in turn but man it's worth it. Also old isnt always more straight forward. I spent yesterday installing GPS tracking in a bunch of our trucks, I sure as shit enjoyed the plug and play on the newer stuff a hell of a lot more than having to hard wire the old. You ever seen the wiring on a 1990 International 4700? Fuck.

Manufacturers don't want people altering their stuff, hurts warranties and there's no way to monitor or control the level of work. I'm sure you've seen DIY appliance repairs that leave you wishing they called you first instead of trying to Tim Allen it themselves. It would be interesting to see what Ford's solution would be to this, perhaps an ODB plug adaptor?

End of the day it's just cost of progress by going with micro fuses over standard they gain more room for the heated steering wheel module or lane departure assist we all need for some reason now. I'm sure in 2 years crappy tire will stock microfuse taps and it will be easy peasy to add circuits. Price you pay for having the latest and greatest is you're always riding the curve of the unknown. If you want bulletproof, easy to fix, and stands the test of time usually you have to forgo all the comforts and luxuries we love so much. I keep finding myself pining for a 1995-1998 Ram 2500 with the 12V diesel and a long bed. I'm sure it would be a great truck but I'd miss those heated and cooled seats and smooth ride quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Ive got some extra fuse taps from installation of my dash cam in my 18 mustang if it's the same type

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    It's a fully jammed luxury vehicle, I'm sure a work trim truck would have empty fuses to tie in to or have the option to get upfitter switchs. As much as they're "removing" look at what we gained. My last truck was full jam for it's year, it had leather, heated front seats, and a shit nav/stereo that wouldnt pass muster on a base kia today. My new one is 8 years newer and has glorious heated and cooled seats, gods gift to man the heated steering wheel, an amazing nav/stereo that rivals my dads german stuff with epic voice control, rides like a dream, gets better economy, has all sorts of real time monitoring and is probably smarter than I am. I gave up the straight forward leaf suspension, and a lot of simplicity in turn but man it's worth it. Also old isnt always more straight forward. I spent yesterday installing GPS tracking in a bunch of our trucks, I sure as shit enjoyed the plug and play on the newer stuff a hell of a lot more than having to hard wire the old. You ever seen the wiring on a 1990 International 4700? Fuck.

Manufacturers don't want people altering their stuff, hurts warranties and there's no way to monitor or control the level of work. I'm sure you've seen DIY appliance repairs that leave you wishing they called you first instead of trying to Tim Allen it themselves. It would be interesting to see what Ford's solution would be to this, perhaps an ODB plug adaptor?

End of the day it's just cost of progress by going with micro fuses over standard they gain more room for the heated steering wheel module or lane departure assist we all need for some reason now. I'm sure in 2 years crappy tire will stock microfuse taps and it will be easy peasy to add circuits. Price you pay for having the latest and greatest is you're always riding the curve of the unknown. If you want bulletproof, easy to fix, and stands the test of time usually you have to forgo all the comforts and luxuries we love so much. I keep finding myself pining for a 1995-1998 Ram 2500 with the 12V diesel and a long bed. I'm sure it would be a great truck but I'd miss those heated and cooled seats and smooth ride quite a bit.
    your not wrong. buts its still frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Ive got some extra fuse taps from installation of my dash cam in my 18 mustang if it's the same type

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    thanks. if you were closer id buy one off you.

according to the internet napa carries them. hopefully my local one has some in stock other wise its getting a switch for now

With the complexity of newer vehicles, gone are the days of just plugging things in. Just because a tap fuse or similar is available, still need to know exactly what your tying into.

that's why I dislike them and tying into wires. altering feed or draws to electronics can cause all sorts of issues. far better to be designed so that if someone needs to tap into a switched feed, that they can tie into a spare in used feed.

I didn't pull the box apart but from what I can see with a flashlight threw the holes they aren't using a standard fuse box like the other truck.

it appears to be a computer board with fuse taps on it. so during production they only add the taps needed, so id guess not using the same board for everything. truck has a lot of options but not all of them.