Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here gone back to stock?

Has anyone here gone back to stock?

I haven't driven my car in 8 months or more because it won't pass etest, throws codes for rich conditions. I have no idea if it's a tune, parts, install or other issue because of how much shit has been changed/altered on this car. I wouldn't even dream of taking it to anyone locally because no one deals in modified Fords and if they do it's 2015 or newer they just put premade kits on. I've been burned by shops here in the past spending $$$$ to get things not fixed or told I had to replaced part A with part B only to end up with same or more issues.

Part of me wants to pull the blower/cams out of the car and go stock motor but then I end up going then there's no point having a 6speed in it, or all the suspension shit, which to put back to stock or mildly modded would probably cost me more out of pocket and honestly a stock 2000 GT today is probably going to be terrible to drive anyway.

Anyone else been at this point with a car where it's either spend $1000's to sort through a bunch of little headaches with no guarantee of solution, or try and revert back to stock even if you don't know if that will solve anything or rekindle the fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I got a good part of my collection of parts off a car that got put back to stock out of a fit of rage.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I got a good part of my collection of parts off a car that got put back to stock out of a fit of rage.
    How did that fare for the other party.

Mustang Occasionally
    I went thru that with my 87. I ended up cutting my losses (I put big money into that car) and started fresh with something newer. I still modded that new car but just did suspension and aesthetics. I ended up with a very good looking and reliable car (2012 Vert). I then had the Boss which I didn’t mod at all other than wheels - I didn’t even lower it. Then with my 2015 I stuck with the same plan as my 2012 - suspension and exterior visual mods. I haven’t touched the drivetrain. It even has the stock paper filter, and I enjoy that car more than anything else I’ve had.

Everyone has different abilities, time restraints and obligations. I learned a lot with my 87 and don’t regret one bit changing my direction and goals for my later cars. I want to enjoy my hobby - not get annoyed and stressed out about it.

A car is no fun if it’s constantly stressing you out....or not performing right...it will just end up collecting dust.

You gotta do what you gotta do to get it reliable again so you enjoy driving it.
    It’s not all about RWHP or chasing the fastest time slips....just cruising is sometimes enjoyable enough.

It's a tough call, i've had headaches with my highly modified Fox, but for me....I knew id regret it if I went backwards. If you have the money, get it to the right shop.
    A few shops in the GTA that could get you fixed up including ZR. When my car runs right (which it is now) I get a grin from ear to ear that makes every cent worth it.
    Sounds like you may just need a proper tune? But i'd have someone knowledgeable go through the car and make sure everything is mechanically good, that you have the right combo of parts and if all is good then get it tuned properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick_89_Hatch View Post
    It's a tough call, i've had headaches with my highly modified Fox, but for me....I knew id regret it if I went backwards. If you have the money, get it to the right shop.
    A few shops in the GTA that could get you fixed up including ZR. When my car runs right (which it is now) I get a grin from ear to ear that makes every cent worth it.
    Sounds like you may just need a proper tune? But i'd have someone knowledgeable go through the car and make sure everything is mechanically good, that you have the right combo of parts and if all is good then get it tuned properly.
    Problem is my fear of trailering 4 hours each way to end up back here again just with less $$$$. I have had people I know go get tunes bring the car back to Windsor and then it starts stalling or running off and then have to haul it back up the 401 for an adjustment. That's a full day of lost work and $200+ in gas each time. If I knew with a good degree of certainty I could bring it somewhere and get it sorted I'd do it, but the idea of spending thousands to potentially not correct it is whats essentially paralyzed me from acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Problem is my fear of trailering 4 hours each way to end up back here again just with less $$$$. I have had people I know go get tunes bring the car back to Windsor and then it starts stalling or running off and then have to haul it back up the 401 for an adjustment. That's a full day of lost work and $200+ in gas each time. If I knew with a good degree of certainty I could bring it somewhere and get it sorted I'd do it, but the idea of spending thousands to potentially not correct it is whats essentially paralyzed me from acting.
    Gotcha, one day you'll have to make that call. Unless someone knowledgeable is willing to come out your way and at least mechanically go over the car.
    Whats your combo?

Nothing earth shattering. 2V with comp 262 cams. Vortech V3 non aftercooled with a powerpipe, stock bosch bypass. 38lbs vortech injectors, lightning maf, aeromotive 340 pump.

^ Should be a slam dunk to tune.
    With current set up / tune etc, has it ever run correctly?