Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Intake gasket Which way up

Intake gasket Which way up

About to install Victor reins 16127 intake gaskets. They have a ridge around the ports in one side and a groove on the other. Trying to figure out which side faces the head and which side faces the install?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They usually will say “up” (that may only be felpro tho), but at the end of the day I honestly don’t think it matters much.....if it was me I’d put the ridge up and the groove down. Also, toss those end seals and use some good silicone instead.

Intake gasket Which way up

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    They usually will say “up” (that may only be felpro tho), but at the end of the day I honestly don’t think it matters much.....if it was me I’d put the ridge up and the groove down. Also, toss those end seals and use some good silicone instead.
    Thanks Ponyryd. I actually purchased “the right stuff” to use instead of the cork/rubber end gaskets.

Would you recommend putting any right stuff around the water ports?

Last edited by 1986stangfan; 06-05-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Also, I am using stainless steel bolts for the intake. Ford spec for torque is 23-35 ft/lb. the stainless bolts say to do 13 ft/lb. who do I listen to?

Silicone should not needed around ports, some guys still do put some though so it’s up to you, just remember you don’t need much at all, only a thin layer smeared around the opening, I use nothing unless the heads or intake have some pitting. As far as bolts go I used to do 25 ft/lb, but it took so long to get that spec because you need to go over them 5+ times before they all stay at that torque, so I started just putting them snug instead...either way works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Silicone should not needed around ports, some guys still do put some though so it’s up to you, just remember you don’t need much at all, only a thin layer smeared around the opening, I use nothing unless the heads or intake have some pitting. As far as bolts go I used to do 25 ft/lb, but it took so long to get that spec because you need to go over them 5+ times before they all stay at that torque, so I started just putting them snug instead...either way works.
    I ended up not using any silicone around the ports. I have torqued the bolts to 14ft/lbs so far. Still debating what to do lol

^If using aluminum heads 14 is fine, as stated I just do it by feel, as long as they’re all around the same I wouldn’t worry about it. Iron heads you could go to 25 if u want.

Settled on 20lbs. It feels right, afraid to over do it. Too many hiccups in this build already. Just want to drive the freakin thing. The goal was originally Father’s Day. But now I’m stuck waiting in a new front cover gasket, and I can’t find the property length stainless bolts anywhere!!!

Just use regular bolts, they take like 10 years to rot, coat them lightly with grease between the threads and the head and they’ll be good for at least 20.

Copper never seize is your best friend.