Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 Reasons Why The Fox Body Mustang is The Best Muscle Car Ever.

Some of you guys sound like I used to sound when it came to the Fox Body Mustang I would go on to say how the Fox was the only real Mustang until I sold my noisy, old, smelly, can't handle heat, can't handle boost Fox Body and bought the new and improved s197 with the new 5.0 Coyote Mustang and now I'll never go back to a Fox but I still like to look at them as I drive by them.

Moral of the story is you never know what you'll be into tomorrow so keep your eyes open for new things cuz you may just like them better, technology is a beautiful thing.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

^^^Lou, I have said this of everybody that praises Fox’s. They haven’t driven a new Mustang.
    And it the reason I strongly resisted test driving the ‘18 at the track. (I just plain didn’t want to know how much better it was)

The torque to weight ratio of a fox is impressive, and a lot of fun. But the handling, braking, and safety are severely lacking. I always laugh at the first mods most people do to a fox: 5-lug conversion, Cobra 4 wheel disc brakes, sub-frame chassis stiffening, ....basically what Ford did with the SN95.

I keep thinking my dream car would be a ‘65 GT350. But it’s a piece of junk compared to a 2018 GT350.
    -Don____________

stangstevers
    I got into the S197 with the Coyote, great engine, awesome cars but TBH I didn't enjoy it as much as others did and it was nothing special, yeah it was fast and had some mods - it still didn't feel personal and got tired of it quick - to me it feels the same as driving my 2015 Edge in terms of "enjoying the ride". I'd only do a new one as a daily driver because to me a weekend toy should NOT have amenities of a new Lincoln. Just give me a lightweight machine with a V8 and a stick that I can tinker with. I want raw, uncivilized and stupid as my weekend toy. I feel people who move on to the new stuff bash the fox to convince themselves that they made the right choice. Because once you've experienced the fox drug, it's hard to give it up. The only thing I don't really like is the 80's "safety", I'd rather be in a 2018 Mustang if I have to get into a crash, which is why I'd NEVER daily a fox and keep it for fun fair weather drives

Granted I've been taking the fox away from my notch with all Max Motorsport suspension stuff, Cobra brakes and soon Cobra IRS. It's still a lightweight, no BS, no thrills machine with a pushrod 302 that takes me back to high school.

I think the best of both worlds awards goes to the 1994-2004 Mustangs. You have better interior, better suspension, better brakes and can fit some serious tires under there without having to worry about anything. Still slightly raw but not as dumb as a fox. Plus, I believe a Coyote swap is a tad easier. I still dream of a 2003 Mach1 in Azure blue in my garage next to my fox... One day, when I stop spending 5k a month at Home depot LMAO...

^This.
    I love foxes, but I also love my 1988 Wrangler, so that may explain it, lol.

I have had a fox notch 5.0, new edge Gt and now a s550 Gt...hands down the s550 is my favourite but if the budget and opportunity arose I would love to Build a coyote powered new edge coupe with irs.

Those new edge cars will always have a special place in my heart as I had a bunch of good memories in the 11 years I had mine.

Although I still check out foxes at shows I think the memory of them would be better than owning one these days (for me at least).
    FABMAN

I have nothing against the new cars - I think the technology is amazing there just not muscle cars nor have the feel - the old Fox's especially with a carb have that feel - computerized cars appear to have a 15-20 year life span on oem once they start throwing codes they seem to be pretty much junk and big expensive headaches - my 79 fox is getting a new engine after 39 years and in the last two years I put 50,000 miles on the old horse, I don't even know how many miles are on that one and those last two years didn't cost me a penny - not sure that will happen with new cars on sensors at 39 years.... with my 2 barrel carb and stock 140 hp 302 I would take many of the modern 5.0's off the line and into 2 - after that I was toast....lol they are fun to drive and that's the appeal to me. The new engine will be old school to keep that feel...!

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Seems to me that only the aero cars are in high demand, at least in my area. My buddy has been trying to sell his H/C/I 85 GT vert since like April for $10k, it’s a pretty clean, very soid driver, but not selling, just dreamers, probably sell quick in Toronto I would think, but around here it seems guys only want efi cars.

Cool stuff though, thanks for posting.
    they take a while to sell at 10 - being a vert may be harder to sell

8 Reasons Why The Fox Body Mustang is The Best Muscle Car Ever.

Foxes are cheap to insure.. to me that makes a great toy. When I want a comfortable ride I’ll take my truck.
    Last edited by hsousa88; 06-19-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    '88 LX

Doesn't matter which Gen. Mustang you have, there will always be something nicer, more comfortable and faster...FX4Life

Yup, always a better mouse trap right around the next corner.