Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need wheel & tire advice. Looking for street setup with some autocross.

wildswing
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    In the same breath, drive with dedicated ultra grippy tires just once.............ruined for life.
    BFG R1s on the Cobra, epic difference.
    Gee, thanks. You realize I now have a little angel and devil on my shoulders, like in the cartoons, eh? Sticky tires, hmmmmm. What are the chances I do that then start breaking driveline parts? It's a stock rear end, driveshaft and transmission. The DFX clutch should be more than enough. Damn, why am I even talking about this, LOL ?!?!?!

wildswing
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT View Post
    You should look at 275/40R18 if doing a square setup, or if you insist on staggered, then look at 255/45R18 and 285/40R18 so that the overall diameter matches front to rear.
    Wow, excellent info! Thanks for the course correction.

Can you elaborate please. What do you recommend for wheel width and offset specs for those tire sizes?

The roush 18x10s should fit fine everywhere. Roush stuff is usually pretty bang on.
    https://i.imgur.com/rC6i0aD.jpg

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wildswing View Post
    Wow, excellent info! Thanks for the course correction.

Can you elaborate please. What do you recommend for wheel width and offset specs for those tire sizes?
    Stephen has the 275/40R18 on his car, I'm thinking that he just made a mistype with the 45.

The options for larger staggered tire sizes in 18" are diminishing, the only ones in the 255/45 & 285/40R18 combo I'd currently recommend are the latest from Continental, the ExtremeContact Sport. Very nice street tire with good dry & wet grip, and could be used for autocross or track days … bearing in mind that you won't keep up with people that are running the max effort stuff like the RE-71R.

https://www.continentaltire.ca/car/t...econtact-sport

Another option for staggered is to go with 245/45R18 and 275/40R18. Still not ideal, but better than your OEM 235 tires. Those sizes are much more common, and give you many more choices for brand and model. An excellent option at a great price is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, which are made from the same carcass as a Bridgestone RE003, one of their tires not sold in North America. These are impressive performers, especially when the price is factored in.

https://www.firestonetire.ca/tire/firehawk-indy-500

Wheel sizes needed would be 18x9 with offset in the +35 range, and 18x10 with offset in the +40 range, give or take a few mm either way.

if doing the 275/40R18 all around, then you should have 9.5" or 10" wheels with offset in the +40 to +45 range.
    Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT - Waterloo
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752
    service dept 888-785-4008
    parts direct 844-339-0452
    we're on Instagram: parkwayford

wildswing
    Quote Originally Posted by dbovine View Post
    The roush 18x10s should fit fine everywhere. Roush stuff is usually pretty bang on.
    Makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT View Post
    Stephen has the 275/40R18 on his car, I'm thinking that he just made a mistype with the 45. The options for larger staggered tire sizes in 18" are diminishing, the only ones in the 255/45 & 285/40R18 combo I'd currently recommend are the latest from Continental, the ExtremeContact Sport. Very nice street tire with good dry & wet grip, and could be used for autocross or track days … bearing in mind that you won't keep up with people that are running the max effort stuff like the RE-71R.

https://www.continentaltire.ca/car/t...econtact-sport

Another option for staggered is to go with 245/45R18 and 275/40R18. Still not ideal, but better than your OEM 235 tires. Those sizes are much more common, and give you many more choices for brand and model. An excellent option at a great price is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, which are made from the same carcass as a Bridgestone RE003, one of their tires not sold in North America. These are impressive performers, especially when the price is factored in.

https://www.firestonetire.ca/tire/firehawk-indy-500

Wheel sizes needed would be 18x9 with offset in the +35 range, and 18x10 with offset in the +40 range, give or take a few mm either way. If doing the 275/40R18 all around, then you should have 9.5" or 10" wheels with offset in the +40 to +45 range.
    Thanks again for all the excellent info Parkway.

wildswing
    Anyone have an opinion on Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires? Just another tire recommendation I've received.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Thanks again for all the excellent info Parkway.
    Ed is the man. And he was correct, I made a typo with regard to the 275/40/18s.

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    Anyone have an opinion on Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires? Just another tire recommendation I've received.
    They are made for Mickey Thompson by Cooper Tires, and are a good product for the price point.

wildswing
    I need to set up an autoreply to thank you.

Lots of good info in here!