Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need wheel & tire advice. Looking for street setup with some autocross.

wildswing
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT View Post
    The options for larger staggered tire sizes in 18" are diminishing, the only ones in the 255/45 & 285/40R18 combo I'd currently recommend are the latest from Continental, the ExtremeContact Sport. Very nice street tire … bearing in mind that you won't keep up with people that are running the max effort stuff like the RE-71R.
    I was just reading the description of the Bridgestone RE-71R on Tire Rack. In it TR says,

the Potenza RE-71R, like all Extreme Performance Summer tires, are not intended to be serviced, stored or driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
    Can't even be stored below freezing? Wow. So no chance of using these as dual purpose tires even if driven very little unless you don't try to extend your season early in the spring or late into the fall and store them in the house over the winter. I have to admit I've heard of this before with certain Michelin Pilot tires, but only recently. A guy here just got a new GT this summer and it came outfitted with some of these tires that are afraid of the cold. He double checked with Michelin tech support. They told him the tires should NEVER see cold temperatures. He had the dealer change them for something else.

Can y'all pro tire guys confirm that ALL extreme performance summer tires are like this?

Even the descriptions of tires in their MAX performance category have a cold temperature warning, although not as severe. The following is from the description of the Continental ExtremeContact Sport.

Note:: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
    So what if you have these tires on your car and you have an unexpectedly cold night. What do you do? Don't move the car and let ambient warm up to over 5°C before moving it?

Tire Rack has no such warnings on tires in their ultra high performance tire category.
    Last edited by wildswing; 06-29-2018 at 11:46 AM.

wildswing
    Along with the previous temperature question above, I'm back with a question about size & fitment, or more of a confirmation.

In previous replies, Stephen and Parkway Ford, you both said 275/40R18 mounted on 18x10 [+45] would fit on all corners. That's the exact specs for Roush '05-'14 18" wheels. So why is it that online tire dealers tend to spec 10" only for the rear? Square setups always seem to be 18x9. I figure they're just being overly conservative, and you guys know what fits by experience. Also, I assume that there's nothing magical about the Roush wheels, so any 18x10 +45 would fit as well. Does that sound right?

With that in mind, I'd like to talk about deep dish wheels. Their 18x9” are 30 mm offset, 5.94” backspace and 18x10” DD are 45 mm offset, 7.2” backspace. As mentioned above, they say the 10" is only for the rear, but by their specs seem to match what you guys say fits all around. In their Q&A section they say, "The width and the offset of the wheel make it difficult for the wheel to fit properly within the front wheel well. With some modification to the fender, control arm and possible the steering rack, you may be able to use a 10 inch wide wheel in the front, however, this would be a custom modification which we could not guarantee." What am I missing here?

They say their 18x10" DD bullets have a +45 offset. How is that possible. Maybe this picture will illustrate my confusion.

Deep dish offset.jpg
    Last edited by wildswing; 07-04-2018 at 08:23 AM.

wildswing
    I got some feedback back from AM about their insistance that 18x10 can only fit on the back...

While we've seen it done at times, we've also run into issues in the past with 18x10 setups on the front. We give a recommendation based on providing a guarantee that rubbing won't occur under just about any circumstances for that wheel. It may be possible to pull off an 18x10 square, and for Roush Mustangs that actually came with these wheels from the factory they had Roush steering stops to reduce the turn radius and avoid contact on turns. For most of their 18x10 wheels for clearing the front Roush does advise this as well. I'll include a link below:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush...ack-stops.html

The best bet for clearing with an 18x10 square setup would be the steering stops, and the best bet for the tires on an 18x10 to clear would be a 275/40R18. Each vehicle does respond to the suspension and other mods differently, and that roots style blower you have on there will bring the front down a bit more with the added weight. We recommend test-fitting wheels and tires for clearance prior to installing. Ordering one for test-fitting is what I often recommend for similar situations.

Regarding the offset of the deep dish wheels, the lip sort of gives it a more concave look though the "spokes" won't go in by the same distance as the non-deep dish wheels, just far enough to provide the same offset. It would be possible to fit 18x9 square, which would allow you to do a 265/35R18 tire square if you wanted.
    Their recommendation of using 265/35R18 on 18x9 seems odd. Tire diameter is 25.3". That's 2 inches less than my stock 255/55R17 27.2" dia. I would think 255/45R18 on either an 18x8 or 18x9 wheel would make more sense.

I'm also not a fan of rack limiters. I had some on my '91 and they gave it the turning radius of a bus. I'd like to follow up with those that either have run or recommend 275/40R18 on 18x10 on all corners. Are there specific wheels you also recommend? Your thoughts please. If you have successfully run 275/40R18 on 18x10 rims on a lowered car without suspension or steering mods, please tell me what rims you used.

Thanks again!

Stephen has the square Roush set up on his, looks and fits perfect.

10" at +43 to +45 with a 275 or 285 width tire will fit all around on an S197 without issues.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

wildswing
    Thanks very much guys. I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but please confirm, your endorsement of 275/40-15s on 18x10 +45 also applies if the car is lowered? I don't think anyone's said that outright yet. If they have, it's my mess up for not paying enough attention. Again, I appreciate your patience with me.

FYI I got some clarification from AM regarding the specs on their deep dish wheels. I mentioned in a previous post how I was confused by their specs that said their 18x10 regular and deep dish had the same offset, +45. I could not wrap my head around that. He said it had to do with the shape of the spokes...

I want to make sure I understand your explanation of the deep dish wheel's shape. Are you saying the tire's on both normal and deep dish are in the same location relative to the mounting surface, and that the deep dish look is achieved solely by changing the shape and position of the spokes?
    That would be the case, the tires for the wheels we carry are in the same location relative to the mounting surface. The spokes are positioned and angled differently so to speak to achieve this.
    This is the modified picture I sent along with that last question...

Deep dish offset 2.jpg

My 07 GT was lowered and had 18x10 at +43 with 275s all around, then 19x10 with 285s all around. The issue with some of the wheels that the vendors sell as rears only is that the spoke shape won't clear the bigger brake setups. If you are thinking about going to the 14" Brembos from the GT500, this is a consideration.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

FYI, my car is lowered as well.

wildswing
    Thanks for the brake reminder Ed.

Thanks again guys. Your help is very much appreciated. I think I've finally got enough info.

You may want to also take a look at LMR for rims and tires. Good service, decent quality and usually wheels are designed for your car and reasonable pricing (but in US dollars).
    FABMAN