Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I learnt something yesterday - staggered wheels is bad

stangstevers

So I learnt something yesterday - staggered wheels is bad

Staggered wheel setup on a car not designed for it, makes for bad driveability? I was planning on 335's in back and 275's up front. I'm told I should have 275's on all 4 wheels "square setup". This weekend I will put some 275's up front to see how much I can fit but I believe I could do 315's? or at least 285's on all 4 corners on this thing.

So with that said... wider rear than front can cause more oversteer? But if I increase the spring rate up front or a larger front sway bar, it should compensate? Sorry I'm new to this and trying to understand the concept of weight balance and trying to calculate where the weight will be in a turn lol Plus I suck at maths.

That's gonna suck, I will need to make sure I get the correct offset for the IRS and spacers or 1996 spindles up front to square it up?

There's a lot to learn about setting up a car, I don't want to build something that may look cool but will want to plant itself in a wall the first time out. lol

What is the intended use?

stangstevers
    I been to an autocross event once some time ago... loved it. So autocross and some road racing and extremely aggressive off/on ramp highway sprints lol... <- Right now, it feels like the car is setup ok (ish) as I feel like there's more in the car but I'm too scared to find the limit on the street.

Edit: I mean, I've never been able to drive a foxbody in that way before... it's kind of scary. Because normally you can take a lifted 4x4 truck much faster in turns than a stock fox. lol

Ideally you want a square set up but on the street you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

stangstevers
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Ideally you want a square set up but on the street you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.
    The foot print counts too right, because the IRS will spread the rear out by what and extra 1.5" over the front? Even if I put 275's on all corners, I still have a "staggered setup"?

Edit: I really need to change that oil pan, leaks so much oil. I can't go to any event until that's resolved.

335 on a fox? u running tailpipes? wont it rub?

my 285 are really close now
    '86 LX--5.2 Predator,TVS 2.65,built 6r80,308 gear,recaros,etc, 863 rwhp....@15 psi
    '03 Cobra DSG built 4v,TW cams,built t56.G-force axles ---3.0 Whipple 840 rwhp……….(18psi)
    '23 Ranger Lariat Splash.

stangstevers
    Quote Originally Posted by trickflow-jay View Post
    335 on fox ?? wont it rub?

my 285 are really close now

+

=

But that won't fit up front, I think I'd be limited to 285 or 315 or something...

on the front i run 255/35/18 and it just brushes the brake lines with 95 spindles
    '86 LX--5.2 Predator,TVS 2.65,built 6r80,308 gear,recaros,etc, 863 rwhp....@15 psi
    '03 Cobra DSG built 4v,TW cams,built t56.G-force axles ---3.0 Whipple 840 rwhp……….(18psi)
    '23 Ranger Lariat Splash.

stangstevers
    yeah I had to relocate the brake lines for the coilover swap... It is pretty close to my wheels now I think :/ I may only have 1/4 to 1/2" space between the flex line and the wheel... I wonder how I can fix that?

SLA front end and huge wheels n tires are a slam dunk a roo.