Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I learnt something yesterday - staggered wheels is bad

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Staggered wheel setup on a car not designed for it, makes for bad driveability? I was planning on 335's in back and 275's up front. I'm told I should have 275's on all 4 wheels "square setup". This weekend I will put some 275's up front to see how much I can fit but I believe I could do 315's? or at least 285's on all 4 corners on this thing.

So with that said... wider rear than front can cause more oversteer? But if I increase the spring rate up front or a larger front sway bar, it should compensate?

No, larger rear tires can cause more understeer. A Fox Mustang is a nose-heavy turd, so if anything you would want larger rubber on the front if it didn't look goofy. Larger tires potentially add more grip, so putting larger rears adds cornering power to the rear, where you're typically not looking for it on a Fox. If you're never going to do track days with the car, don't worry about it. If you are, you'll have to make a decision on looks vs. performance for the wheel & tire combo, or have a dedicated set of mounted track rubber with a square setup.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

stangstevers
    Would be cheaper to jump ship and go with a GM product for SLA lol

I guess the best thing to do is square it up and forget 335's in back unless I can make it work in front which won't work unless I get some serious spacers lol... Maybe put the goal of fitting min 275's on 4 corners. Fuck may prevent me from cutting up the fenders lol

275 is still a lot of tire to avoid rubbing.

....at least for me it is. I use ALL the suspension on the lean machine

-Don____________

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    I don’t know. ... go with the set up that gives u minimal head ache. Less time/ money on the lift and more time attacking road course or auto cross events at different locations. Have a square for “ ideal/ better” for track if u want.
    If u are doing it with a race team for prize money or as a profession ; I get it- but for the “ weekend” type warrior I wouldn’t fuss too much about it.
    Lol - u can’t pass anyway on certain sections on most courses anyway and usually there is someone slow in front of u ( that slow person is usually me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

stangstevers
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    275 is still a lot of tire to avoid rubbing.

....at least for me it is. I use ALL the suspension on the lean machine

This is the best SN95 out there imo...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by newbiestangowner View Post
    I don’t know. ... go with the set up that gives u minimal head ache. Less time/ money on the lift and more time attacking road course or auto cross events at different locations. Have a square for “ ideal/ better” for track if u want.
    If u are doing it with a race team for prize money or as a profession ; I get it- but for the “ weekend” type warrior I wouldn’t fuss too much about it.
    Lol - u can’t pass anyway on certain sections on most courses anyway and usually there is someone slow in front of u ( that slow person is usually me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hahaha no way, I'm going to be the slowest. Going to start with some courses/training then jump into the beginner events where you are not allowed to pass (I think?).

On a Fox you can do 255s on 9s at all 4 corners without much hassle, and as long as you don't have hundreds of pounds of crap added to the car that will be plenty of rubber. I used to do just fine at Mosport in a Fox with 245/50R16 all around on the rubber that was available 25 years ago ... new stuff is much grippier now!
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

stangstevers
    I'm a poser and want to stuff as wide as I can too. Going for a certain look as well but dont want to build junk in the process. I have a lot of learnin' to do though.

Well, at least you freely admit it! LOL

stangstevers
    Got nothing to hide at my age... LOL

stangstevers
    yup... also battery in trunk, aluminum heads, tubular K-member/arms... Would get a lighter hood but I like the fitment of my metal cowl hood.