Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I learnt something yesterday - staggered wheels is bad

Fender flares on a fox = horny

I’ll do the same if I ever decide to paint my car
    '88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    No, larger rear tires can cause more understeer. A Fox Mustang is a nose-heavy turd, so if anything you would want larger rubber on the front if it didn't look goofy. Larger tires potentially add more grip, so putting larger rears adds cornering power to the rear, where you're typically not looking for it on a Fox. If you're never going to do track days with the car, don't worry about it. If you are, you'll have to make a decision on looks vs. performance for the wheel & tire combo, or have a dedicated set of mounted track rubber with a square setup.

cheers
    Ed

^^^This...if it's for the street...do whatever makes you happy! Track, you want atleast square setup all around...sure it doesn't look as good, but now you are into function over form...simple solution, have a setup for the track and setup for the street if money allows...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

Club Supporter
    I went from 275/295 staggered combo on 18” wheels on my jellybean for both track and street. 275’s rubbed right through the fender liners. I know that I am not the only one to experience this.
    Best thing you could do is have a dedicated square setup for the track. I am now running 255’s on 17” wheels at all four corners for the track. No rubbing and the car works better than ever.

stangstevers
    So this won't work (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D2dJlAoAj0) <- I dig it though. lol

Anyway, thanks for your help guys, I did some more reading since I got pretty toasted last night and couldn't sleep so I just read some racing blogs lol... So the plan now is to change the wheels (again), the current 18's will look killer on the 80 Cobra anyway. So I will get wheels with different offsets to match the front/rear mess I will have with IRS. Probably 8.5" or 9" with probably 275's on all corners (or whatever I can fit, could be smaller too but confident I can do well with on-fender flares, the goal is still to be in the 300's or as close as possible - that's the poser coming through, if I'm going to cut this car up, it better be for something ubber cool).

I'm going to make a redneck version of something like this to get this setup close to perfect: http://candctek.com/wheel-tek-tool/

Now I'm going to put the battery in the trunk with cut off switch and whatnot... hopefully performance improvements has this in stock.

Stop guessing and just go ask this guy what he did. Car is badass, and boogies around the track.

-Don____________

i run a staggered 265/285 setup on my sn95 and the car corners pretty good lol but yes a square setup is the way to go for balance

stangstevers
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Stop guessing and just go ask this guy what he did. Car is badass, and boogies around the track.

This the one with Cobra IRS?

Yes it is. I rode in that one for a session to give a few tips, that car works very well. Also helps that he has a bunch of weight off the nose compared to an iron SBF.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

stangstevers
    That car is setup perfectly from what I hear. Something to aspire to.

So I'm finishing up the battery relocation, put my seats for sale for lighter "race" versions, building a new SBF with aluminum heads, may get a lift off cowl hood (for free). Also thinking tubular rad support?... It should be considerably lighter than stock on the nose. I wish I could get the scale equipment to test things but I can't justify the cost, a blog doesn't bring in much money lol

Club Supporter
    That blue LS/IRS fox is so cool!