Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 - 2009 MUSTANG CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER COMMON ROD EYE ISSUE SNAPPING

Monera3v

2005 - 2009 MUSTANG CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER COMMON ROD EYE ISSUE SNAPPING

Well, I have been having some issues with the clutch lately and I see why.
    Been having issues where the clutch wasn't disengaging properly no matter how hard you pressed down on the pedal.

Well, if you know the history of this... the 05 to 09 Had an issue where the plastic rod eye would snap off the master cylinder, rendering you dead in the water.

In my case, I was on 400 southbound just approaching the 401 east ramp when I heard a click...
    Needless to say, I knew exactly what was going to happen next.

I swirly pulled over at the tightest emergency lane on the 400 to 401 east ramp and with the last attempt to see if my thought were right the plastic rod eyes snapped in half.

Lucky for me, I had already been searching the S197 forums and a lot of our American friends had had they're snapped at around 150,000 miles. ( I sit at 264,000km / 164,000 miles)

Well, lucky had hit me since I had previously purchased this "Hop up" part aka Metal replacement rod from a person machining them.

The repair took about 5 minutes

The clutch pedal is 10x firmer now but my clutch bite is so high... so Yes clutch is on its way out, I guess the loose plastic piece was worn down enough to not fully engage the slave cylinder.

The metal rod eye can be found on eBay for about 50-60 bucks, of you can make your own or last option is to replace the master with a gt500 or stock and hope it doesn't snap
    Lucky for me I purchased it when the user was selling them for 20 bucks. Looks like it boomed because he is up in price now!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2005-2010-Mu...5bPrTd&vxp=mtr
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2005-2010-Mu...5ZUYFF&vxp=mtr

There is an all metal replacement available.

I will look it up for you. I have already replaced that 4 times...283K on her though

Here it is.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2010-M...er+repair.TRS0

Monera3v
    :P Yes that what in the pictures.
    I had purchased it when the guy was selling them 3 year ago for 20 bucks lol
    I always had the piece in my car because I always in the back of my head knew this day will come soon! lol

On one occasion when it broke, I was able to drive it home shifting without the clutch. Fortunately I live in the county, had to run a few stop signs (good sight lines and no traffic)but got it there. Middle of winter so didn’t want to wait for flat bed.

Monera3v
    I gotta learn to shift without the clutch, seen a few vids never attempted

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    There is an all metal replacement available.

I will look it up for you. I have already replaced that 4 times...283K on her though

Here it is.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2010-M...er+repair.TRS0
    Level of difficulty...? & thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    Level of difficulty...? & thanks for the link
    Each time mine has broken I changed the clutch master cylinder at the same time.

Other than being on your back under the dash, it looks simple....slide it over the rod and tighten the set screw.

Monera3v
    5m job, looking like a crab on its back.
    much firmer feel to the pedal, but I do question why my bitting point is much higher now.

Rod end was likely partially smooshed n squished.

SPEED
    I made my own part after breaking 2 of them. The second time I was prepared and took me 5 minutes to install and I was on my way. It will never wear out or break again. Ford dommies are still making them in plastic.