Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6

Thread: '05 GT wont start. Battery is ok.

wildswing

'05 GT wont start. Battery is ok.

My car's been in the garage for a couple of weeks. I tried to start it this morning but get nothing but the security idiot light, and some whirring noises from the dash. I can also see some other dash lights on with key on. It does not crank. I disconnected the battery and put my tender on it. It only took 30 min to fully charge. I've tried both my keys. Still nothing. It does not crank. Neither of my fobs work either. Any ideas?

wildswing
    Figured it out. I should have done this first! Open voltage on the battery is only 6.2 volts. Strange that my Battery Tender went green. I'm of to get a new battery.
    Last edited by wildswing; 07-28-2018 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Correct bad info

wildswing
    New battery did the trick. I assumed the old one was good because I believed my Battery Tender went through pre checks before beginning charging. That may not be the ease. It may not be that advanced. A proper check with a volt meter did the trick. After charging, the closed circuit voltage (with battery cables connected) was 3.2 volts. Open circuit voltage, with cables disconnected was 6.2 volts. That’s a problem.
    Last edited by wildswing; 07-28-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Quote Originally Posted by wildswing View Post
    New battery did the trick. I assumed the old one was good because I believed my Battery Tender went through pre checks before beginning charging. That may not be the ease. It may not be that advanced. A proper check with a volt meter did the trick. After charging, the closed circuit voltage (with battery cables connected) was 3.2 volts. Open circuit voltage, with cables disconnected was 6.2 volts. That’s a problem.
    Had my share of gremlins, battery , alt , extra ground lol

wildswing
    I’m an electrical technologist, so not reaching for my meter first thing was a true Homer moment.