Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: vibration

joe dick

vibration

did a rear end change to go from stock gears to 373's and have noticed a vibration from the rear only when reaching speeds of 120 kph. google search seems to say this is common with gear change. Don't think its tires or rims as I changed to a different set of rims and tires and no change, universal joint has no play and driveshaft bolts are tightened and loctited. So i think I narrowed it down to drive shaft, do I switch to aluminum or if anyone else that has experienced this how did you solve it? It's a 1988 with 8.8.

Pull the weight off that sits at the bottom of the front of the diff, aluminum driveshaft often makes the vibration worse, unless of course your shaft is outta balance.
    Are you sure the gears are set up properly? No yoke play?

Super super super common after you do a gear change (increased shaft speed) and retain the stock steel shaft. Go alum and put that little to no vibration smile back on your face.

55 HD
    Joe Dick, vibration, rear end.......I stopped reading after that, thinking I wouldn't have your answer. lol

joe dick
    thanks for replies, and you see my confusion one response says aluminum shaft will make it worse the other says it will fix it, its the same thing when you search google and look at other forums, i guess i'll be searching for aluminum driveshaft and start there.

Yet to see a quality alum shaft ever make it worse, greatly improves or totally eliminates.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Yet to see a quality alum shaft ever make it worse, greatly improves or totally eliminates.
    So when are we putting mine in? Still in the box waiting for you lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

^ Soon as your schedule opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by joe dick View Post
    thanks for replies, and you see my confusion one response says aluminum shaft will make it worse the other says it will fix it, its the same thing when you search google and look at other forums, i guess i'll be searching for aluminum driveshaft and start there.
    Personally I’ve never seen it, only heard about it from others, which is why I said it. Any cars I’ve had with aluminum shafts were very smooth. I’d tend to go with ZRs advice on this one, I know he’s played with more shafts than I have

^ HEY.........too much information. LOL