Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: vibration

u-joints are about $25 good place to start...

aluminum drive shaft fixed mine. Even balanced the stock steel one, no difference
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Weren’t aluminum driveshafts stupid cheap 10 years ago? I want one since my car does the same after 110km/hr but who’s paying 6 bills for one? Goddamn..
    '88 LX

In the scheme of things, FMS shaft is still within reality price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    Weren’t aluminum driveshafts stupid cheap 10 years ago? I want one since my car does the same after 110km/hr but who’s paying 6 bills for one? Goddamn..
    Last time I checked I think they were $249 us, but that was probably ten years ago.

joe dick
    i was thinking about the aerostar driveshafts but again internet is a wonderful place for info, some say they fit without mods, others say you need special offset u joint, or just the same u joint thats on your mustang. I'm old and slow, not that often i get a chance to get over 120km\h, so i'll wait until something that comes up for sale thats at a price i can afford.

^^^I did this on my former 89 and used the offset u-joint...worked very well.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Quote Originally Posted by joe dick View Post
    i was thinking about the aerostar driveshafts but again internet is a wonderful place for info, some say they fit without mods, others say you need special offset u joint, or just the same u joint thats on your mustang. I'm old and slow, not that often i get a chance to get over 120km\h, so i'll wait until somethin g that comes up for sale thats at a price i can afford.
    sometimes it's hard to detect play in a u joint - if the vibration occurs at or beyond 120 there may be very little play in the u joint - if you buy a new drive shaft you will also get a new u joint - you will never know if it was the drive shaft or the u joint that was the real fix - u joints are cheap and easy to replace, if it doesn't help then you will know to look elsewhere - in my experience it has always been wise to begin the process with the cheapest part...if the vibration begins to happen sooner and gets more aggressive as time goes on, you will likely feel the play in the u joint - best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    Solid advice, do the cheap easy stuff first. Even if it’s not the u joint, you won’t suffer because of new ones
    I agree with doing cheap easy stuff first, but this is a new problem after gears, I highly doubt it’s a u-joint.

Friend a gear change done by " Mustang " performance shop in Brantford- GTA area. Same vibration 110- 130.
    Found that the preload on the pinion bearing was wrong.