Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a boat

Thinking of a boat

Thinking of getting a boat, something just to bomb around in with the family (me, wife, 8, 10 y/olds), and my father in law will likely use it for fishing, under 20’ I think would be good (towing with a Grand Cherokee V6). Now does anyone have any insight about inboard/outboard engine? I was told an outboard is best cuz it much less trouble, which makes sense, but I’m fairly handy so not real worried about maintenance, so much as seals between inboard/exterior. Really just tossing this out to see if anyone has any wisdom to share, I don’t have a licence yet, looking to stay under $10k, and newer than 1992.

What about the smaller SeaDoo Jet Boat? Like a Speedster

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/sea-doo-b...203C4&sprx=250

My best friend owns Dan's Nautical on the Drive, he suggested them to me when I said I wanted something to just bomb around in.

I was originally thinking of a Bow-rider, but he talked me out of it since it would have been double the money to get same age range, plus took up a lot more space for storing.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/sea-doo-b...203C4&sprx=250
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Thx Chris, I thought about those but given the amount of room I need I think a bow rider is best, I’ve been looking at them for a couple months now, and the prices are all over the place depending on the condition. Both my sister’s have kids, as well as my brother in law, so it would be nice to have room to take a couple extra kids if needed.
    I’ve seen nice bowriders between $6-14k so far, but I don’t want to go over $10k for a toy.
    Did you end up getting one?

Mach 1’s make great boats.

-Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Mach 1’s make great boats.

Not sure I can trust the wiring........

I have an OLD sterndrive and so far its been a sinch to work on, (waiting for parts is more of an issue, but I think that's just due to age (late 60's) something newer would be easier to find on parts im sure,
    dont buy an OMC stick to something with a mercruser and the motors are fairly generic, (GM, Volvo?penta ect.)

i have heard guys say that out board is better and they usualy follow that up with "becasue if something goes wrong you just stick another motor on it," more money that brains here i think. but if your palning on paying someone to wrench for you eveything gets expensive.

i stuck with the advice that was given to me which was if its your first boat, buy something cheap. i have had to do alot of repairs but have learend TONES along the way. which helps and when you make a rooky mistake, something like not checking your depths when in an unfamiliar lake and shredding your brand new prop. it was only a couple hundred doller lesson and not a couple grand.

my boat is old, ugly, i fix something on it every third time i use it but ive got less than 3000 into it including purchais price, rebuilding the gimble and repairs to the gear housing, if it sinks tomorow it will suck but not 20gs kinda suck

^Thx. Honestly the whole reason I even started looking was because I saw one sitting and asked if it was for sale, old dude said no, so I left it at that, few years later I see some people cleaning out the house, go back and ask, well ya, he died and now they want to sell it. 1986 Doral with a roller trailer, I can get it for $500 but the paint is bad, the motor (4.3) has a cracked block, there’s some rot inside and the end of the outdrive is broken. Not a bad deal for $500 but for me to fix it up well enough to take my family or friends out on it, it would probably cost me more time and money than buying a nice $6k boat.

I’d pass at that.

Dealing with a broken out drive no biggie. Dealing with a cracked block. Big job but doable if you have a Craine to lift it out. Dealing with rot is huge and you won’t be enjoying it this summer.

Keep an eye there are deals to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Thx Chris, I thought about those but given the amount of room I need I think a bow rider is best, I’ve been looking at them for a couple months now, and the prices are all over the place depending on the condition. Both my sister’s have kids, as well as my brother in law, so it would be nice to have room to take a couple extra kids if needed.
    I’ve seen nice bowriders between $6-14k so far, but I don’t want to go over $10k for a toy.
    Did you end up getting one?
    He's supposed to take me to the auctions in Michigan at the end of the season to go look. One thing he also mentioned is to check on parts. Apparently certain older outdrives are near impossible to get parts for. If you find one you like send it over to me and I can have him give the ad a look and see if any red flags pop up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    He's supposed to take me to the auctions in Michigan at the end of the season to go look. One thing he also mentioned is to check on parts. Apparently certain older outdrives are near impossible to get parts for. If you find one you like send it over to me and I can have him give the ad a look and see if any red flags pop up.
    OMC is defunct and impossible to find parts for other than used stuff.