Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a boat

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    He's supposed to take me to the auctions in Michigan at the end of the season to go look. One thing he also mentioned is to check on parts. Apparently certain older outdrives are near impossible to get parts for. If you find one you like send it over to me and I can have him give the ad a look and see if any red flags pop up.
    Thx bud, appreciate the help.
    I was thinking of looking in Michigan as well but with the exchange and the new tariffs I didn’t think it was worth it.
    This one is on the low end in year and price, but it looks about perfect to me, I keep going back to it trying to find a reason not to buy it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...ationFlag=true

I may just wait until fall or winter and watch what comes up, I’m in no rush and really just thinking out loud. As of right now I don’t even have the time to clean out my garage, let alone have time for a boat, lol.

That things like 2 min from your house.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Ya, but if I go look I’ll end up buying it, lol.

DO IT! then take it right to the lake and enjoy the afternoon. having lunch than headed out myself

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    DO IT! then take it right to the lake and enjoy the afternoon. having lunch than headed out myself
    Lol, gotta get a licence first, this is mostly just thinking out loud at the moment.

Let's go.if u need a hand let me know.we can also use the ram to pick it up

Licence is easy, takes a couple of hours and $50.

As someone who married into a family with a water access only cottage I'd think long and hard about buying a boat. Rent one a few times and see if it is something you really want to get into. Purchase price is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to cost. Fuel usage (and cost at the marinas) can be a shock. Parts can be way more expensive than their car equivalent. Our inboard motor blew last year - not cheap to replace a volvo penta.

To me the advantage of an outboard is access. Much easier to pop off the cover and have things fairly accessible rather than digging around upside down under the rear seat. Easier to winterize too.

Do yourself the favour and stay away from anything with rot.. if you decide you want a outboard have a real good look at the transom. Not impossible to repair but a ton of work and not something you want to pay for to be fixed.

A lot of people talk about boat ownership being expensive but it really comes down to what kind of boat. Is this your first boat? If so take a look at some of the aluminum hull options out there. Hit a rock with a aluminum boat, you get a dent. A glass boat will set you back a ton of money to get it fixed. If it’s your first boat you WILL hit shit.
    '88 LX

Spent the afternoon out with the wife kids and brother. While the beaches were packed we launched at a free launch and then didn’t have to deal with anyone else.

Licence can be done online.

Do it.

lol

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated guys. I will need to figure out what I want to do, but for now I’m thinking maybe once the house is paid off I’ll seriously consider one. For now it seems like too much cost and work, we both work full time and the kids have sports stuff so we are very time limited, a boat will mostly just sit and not get used much...this is why I no longer have a Mustang, lol.