Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  31
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a boat

boo grown up priorities. lol

were you jush hoping for fun on the water or fishing?

i starte with a little aluminum cost less that a grand all in and allowed me to get away even if it was a short hour or two at the nearest resivour, goot way to get started and to learn the ins and outs without investiinh too much time and money. somedays still miss being able to just take teh jont down to fanshaw and trowing a line in as far away from people as possable

Yup, sad I know, lol.
    Mostly looking for fun on the water, but my father in law loves fishing, but he’s failed his boat licence before, and they already have a big camper so I dunno if they’ll buy a boat, I know that they want one though. I thought it would be something I would buy but let him use, and I know he’s good for helping out with parts/repairs.

I bought a 91 Chris craft bowrider last year. It’s just under 17ft long. I looked at lots of boats and there is a lot of junk out there. Be prepared to travel for something good. I drove close to Quebec to get my boat but it was well worth it. Original owner and always stored if not being used. That’s something you need to ask. Where is the boat kept when not in use and in the winter. My boat is in very good condition but it didn’t run properly so I got a good deal on it. It has a 115 Johnson outboard which is easy to work on. So $300 later with boat carbs rebuilt and a few other things and setting the timing correctly, I had it running awesome. I have used it lots this year as well. It’s one of the best purchase I have made. I love it and so does the rest of my family. Both my boys are the same age as yours. It came with a ski pole and I taught both my boys to ski and my oldest loves it. So checking out the accessories the boat comes with is important also. It can save you money on stuff you would buy anyways. My biggest thing was checking the structure. I didn’t care about the engine as I could deal with that myself. I looked at a few boats that the transom area had small cracks. That’s bad news.
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    I bought a 91 Chris craft bowrider last year. It’s just under 17ft long. I looked at lots of boats and there is a lot of junk out there. Be prepared to travel for something good. I drove close to Quebec to get my boat but it was well worth it. Original owner and always stored if not being used. That’s something you need to ask. Where is the boat kept when not in use and in the winter. My boat is in very good condition but it didn’t run properly so I got a good deal on it. It has a 115 Johnson outboard which is easy to work on. So $300 later with boat carbs rebuilt and a few other things and setting the timing correctly, I had it running awesome. I have used it lots this year as well. It’s one of the best purchase I have made. I love it and so does the rest of my family. Both my boys are the same age as yours. It came with a ski pole and I taught both my boys to ski and my oldest loves it. So checking out the accessories the boat comes with is important also. It can save you money on stuff you would buy anyways. My biggest thing was checking the structure. I didn’t care about the engine as I could deal with that myself. I looked at a few boats that the transom area had small cracks. That’s bad news.
    Planning to upgrade in the next few years Dan? I may take that one off your hands......

Can I strongly recommend getting boat with an Evinrude E TEC outboard motor. I have one, it's fantastic. It's oil injected, direct fuel injected all computer controlled. No dicking around with carbs and chokes and flooding etc.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    What about the smaller SeaDoo Jet Boat? Like a Speedster

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/sea-doo-b...203C4&sprx=250

My best friend owns Dan's Nautical on the Drive, he suggested them to me when I said I wanted something to just bomb around in.

I was originally thinking of a Bow-rider, but he talked me out of it since it would have been double the money to get same age range, plus took up a lot more space for storing.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/sea-doo-b...203C4&sprx=250

the link you posted is a Sportster, not a Speedster...huge difference in fuel bills between the two...just a heads up

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Thx bud, appreciate the help.
    I was thinking of looking in Michigan as well but with the exchange and the new tariffs I didn’t think it was worth it.
    This one is on the low end in year and price, but it looks about perfect to me, I keep going back to it trying to find a reason not to buy it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...ationFlag=true

I may just wait until fall or winter and watch what comes up, I’m in no rush and really just thinking out loud. As of right now I don’t even have the time to clean out my garage, let alone have time for a boat, lol.

The older Maxums are meh...not the greatest...but not the worst either, however that one looks to have a Black Max motor, which are great motors, however a 75hp is very under powered for that boat...especially you plan on taking the kids water skiing an such, I really don't think you would be happy with it...however more room for say fishing and such vs. the jet boats...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Planning to upgrade in the next few years Dan? I may take that one off your hands......
    You never know but I doubt it. If I do decide to sell I’ll let you know. It’s a great boat and the perfect size. The 115 Johnson pulls me out of the water skiing no problem. It’s also a nice weight so I can tow it with my 09 4wd escape. I did swap the axle over to an electric brake set up this year and added a decent brake controller. It got a little questionable one time last year trying to make a quick stop. Now it stops awesome! Only cost me about $500 for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    the link you posted is a Sportster, not a Speedster...huge difference in fuel bills between the two...just a heads up
    Tomato/potato. Ya ones got twins and ones a single, but they look similar enough to give him an idea of the type of boat I was referencing.

Here is Speedster

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/sea-doo-b...%203C4&sprx=-1
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Tomato/potato. Ya ones got twins and ones a single, but they look similar enough to give him an idea of the type of boat I was referencing.

Here is Speedster

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/sea-doo-b...%203C4&sprx=-1
    I looked at buying one of these. Costs to repair are crazy as is fuel consumption. There is a lot of stuff to break and those engines don’t seem to last long before needing a rebuild. My 91 boat has the original 91 V4 Johnson outboard. Those engines are virtually bulletproof.